Daughter wants Nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaughterwantsNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Fellow Nanoists. I have purchased an 8 Gal Biocube 1 mo. ago. All in with bag-o-sand, 8-10lbs live rock, and bottled salt water from the store. All the lights are standard including filter in 1st intake, plastic balls in 2nd intake and blue sponge and pump in 3rd intake.

1 month later I am the proud owner of 3 Blue legged hermits (they haven't stopped exploring since I placed them in the tank - 3 Days now) and 4 snails. 2 snails have made a home at the top of the tanks water line and the other two haven't moved much since yesterday. So that is 2 days of moving around and 1 day of almost nothing.

I have been told that this crew of 7 should be alone in the tank for at least 1 week before I introduce any fish. I do trust the sales people at B.A's, however only so much. My curious little girl comes running to the tank asking, where's Nemo? only to see Hermit Crabs and then looks at me like who you trying to fool. I can wait a few more days, after all, I waited one month to prep the tank.

I am interested in two specific items for the tank. "Nemo" and an anemone for it to frolic. But who am I kidding, I will probably try to push the limits of the tank eventually. Youtube.com suggests that an anemone is possible.

Here is the list of questions:

What do I need to upgrade one of the lights to so I ensure proper comfort for my anemone?

What would be an estimated cost for that bulb?

How long should I wait after the crew of 7 to introduce fish?

How long should I wait to introduce a shrimp after the fish?

How long should I wait to introduce hard coral and soft coral?

How often should I leave each light on: light w/fan, light, blue light (plug in)?

I have so much more to ask, but I don't want to get to overwhelmed with answers.

I have been reading so many posts and reply's that it is great to know there is lots of great advise. I hope not to learn at the expense of trial and error?

Thank to you all!

Welcome to AA! Anemone is out of the question, tank is no where near old enough to support one, lights are insufficient. Not needed for the clown anyway, clowns are just as happy with a powerhead or a chunk of rock as they are with an anemone and there is no garuntee that it will host the anemone anyway. If you want something that has the look of an anemone, look into LPS corals when your tank gets further established. I would honestly see if you can take the hermits back and have your LFS hold onto them as your tank will need to cycle (Read up on fishless cycling in the articles section of the site, there is a link just above the ad towards the top of the page). Grab a liquid test kit to monitor the water parameters during the cycle. After the cycle has completed, then you can re-add the hermits and put in a clown which will probably put your tank at max capacity for fish. Wait a few months (at least 2) after your clown is added to give the tank time to stabilize before you add coral. For light cycle, try with having the actinics (blue) on for 30min-hour before you turn the 10k (white) lights on, then turn on the 10k for 6 hours, shut them off, and leave the actinics on for 30min-hour after. Probably easiest to use a timer. Also it may be cheaper in the long run if you buy salt mix and ro/di water than it would be to buy pre-mixed water. Grab a refractometer for checking the salinity, a hydrometer will work as well, but in such a small tank, you need to be as accurate as possible so a refractometer will work best. Make sure you have a heater (50w would work) since I didnt see one listed. Sorry if this is confusing, but just ask if anything needs clarification. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks!

Yes I have a heater and set to aprox. 79.

I did not realize coral required such an established water system. Good to know.

I do have what looks like a hydra (clear with 5-6 tentacles and mouth) moving around the live rock. I was told the shrimp will eventually eat it or I can inject it with vinegar. I was told this will spread if broken and damages corals.

I will upload pics soon.

Thanks for the tool advise.

Where can I find the full terms of all the abbreviations?

also the shrimp you were probably looking at was a peppermint shrimp, and they're very hit and miss when it comes to eating aiptasia.

you if you want you can add a cleaner shrimp (probably a month or so after the clown is finally added, just to make sure your water is stable) as fun for your daughter because he is another character from finding nemo (jacque i believe) im not promoting the movie's stocking of the doctors office tank (theres a thread on here somewhere about how bad of an idea it was)

and very much so stick around here for coral suggestions, the biocubes lighting isnt very strong, so your coral selection is limited. as thom stated anemones arent easy to keep, especially in smaller tanks. a nice frogspawn coral is a known dupe for clowns to host ( if thats what you're looking for) but as he also stated the clown may never host it, or it may host a power head etc.

be sure to stick around and ask all of your questions! i'm a fellow nanoist with the biocube but the 14 model, and it is as well my first SW tank, still learning but enoying every minute of it!

Thanks IDIS,

I have heard that clowns are snobby when it comes to where they host. As for being character specific to Nemo, all she knows is Nemo and Marlin. She actually called one of the Hermit Crabs, Sebastian. Too much Disney going on here. But none the less, she is curious and enjoys the little tank.

I have an 18 watt light and a 10,000K 18 watt light.
What is the difference?
Can I upgrade to get other corals?

Thanks for pointing out that peppermint shrimp aren't cleaners.

My wife just called and asked when I was planning to pick up a Clown today. I do believe that I should wait until next weekend. That will be wk 7.

All things considered, that I am able to maintain this little tank I will probably upgrade to largest tank my wife will allow, lol. I hope to use this as a stepping stone to large more diverse enjoyment.

So where are these pictures??? I would love to see them!

Also keep in mind the smaller tanks should get more water changes...I would do one at least once a week for that tank

I just posted one pic in the album section. That's all I got. Looks like your typical bucket of rocks with water on a bed of sand.

Attachments

• IMG00149-20110212-0957.jpg
    IMG00149-20110212-0957.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 150
nice! cherish the moments when everything is clean, nice, white, etc. because it wont stay that way for very much longer!

Back
Top Bottom