Decision on new Inhabitants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Now that I got my tank up and its first inhabitant's I am looking at my next purchases. Currently I have....

• Firefish
  • 2 small Scarlet Legged Hermits
  • 1 Astrea Snail

So far I am looking at the following for next purchase..

• Yellow Watchman Goby or another Fire Fish or Flame tail blennie
  • Sexy Shrimp x 3
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Emerald Crab
  • Dwarf Feather Duster

I am also wanting to get corals, either Soft Corals or LPS. I would like to be able to order the things in the list above and the corals at the same time for shipping purposes (hopefully will get free shipping lol).

So, as far as the second list, what are your opinions on these and what would be the best corals for me to get to start with AND is there anywhere you would recommend getting everything from that has good prices?

Everyone here has been awesome with the help and information I have gotten and I appreciate everything :) (y)

Any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all,

Now that I got my tank up and its first inhabitant's I am looking at my next purchases. Currently I have....

• Firefish
  • 2 small Scarlet Legged Hermits
  • 1 Astrea Snail

So far I am looking at the following for next purchase..

• Yellow Watchman Goby or another Fire Fish or Flame tail blennie
  • Sexy Shrimp x 3
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Emerald Crab
  • Dwarf Feather Duster

I am also wanting to get corals, either Soft Corals or LPS. I would like to be able to order the things in the list above and the corals at the same time for shipping purposes (hopefully will get free shipping lol).

So, as far as the second list, what are your opinions on these and what would be the best corals for me to get to start with AND is there anywhere you would recommend getting everything from that has good prices?

Everyone here has been awesome with the help and information I have gotten and I appreciate everything :) (y)

Any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, your firefish is pretty much maxing out the 10g for fish. Definitely none of the above fish, but maybe a clown goby could be fit in. Also, emerald crabs are definitely not reef safe, but everything else would be fine. I highly recommend sexy's, they're very fun to watch :). Mine are constantly dancing around corals, and every so often will actually chase away my cleaner shrimp!

Could you please remind me what lights you have? That will affect your coral selection. Btw, just so you know most places require you to buy >$200 of livestock for free shipping (it can be pretty darn expensive to ship live saltwater animals :( .)

If you can find some gsp or zoas at your LFS those would be ideal first corals :). They are very hardy and will thrive in pretty much any basic lighting setup.

Good luck!

Hey dingus,

Ok, as far as lights go I have the marineland Reef ready lights comes with (18) 10,000K White & (3) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs-totaling 1305 Lumens/120par. From my understanding these are good for soft corals and also some LPS.

The sexy shrimp is a BIG+, I love these little guys and can see them now in the tank, and the porcelain crab I love the way they "wave" when they are feeding so most definitely with him and the cleaner shrimp.

+1 on the shipping from online suppliers. I was looking at Vivid Aquariums since the quarantine their fish etc. when they receive them before they sell them. they have some thigns at good prices but you have to order 225.00 or more to get the free shipping....i don't want that much right now :eek:.

I know Zoa's and Mushrooms will be good to start but was wondering what others would be good?

Good starter corals (and some of my favorites :) ) include green star polyps, mushrooms, zoas, kenya tree, toadstools, Anthelia, and ricordea (the last is technically a shroom, but they are in a class of their own lol.)

Awesome, was actually looking at some ricordia last night, really liking the way they look. Anthelia I haven't seen yet, will check them out as well. Just found another LFS here where I work and supposedly they have a bigger selection of SW fish, corals and inverts. Gonna stop by after work and see what they have.

Leave out the kenya tree coral. It's very invasive and for such a small tank it's going to give you regrets.

Leave out the kenya tree coral. It's very invasive and for such a small tank it's going to give you regrets.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Is it invasive in terms of the actual ocean environment or just in aquariums?

I have a Kenya tree in my 3g that has grown maybe half an inch in the last two months, which was unexpected to me as I was told they grow quite rapidly. Could it be a different sub species of Kenya tree? My plating monti is growing faster than this thing lol.

Kenya trees will throw branches and make their way everywhere. It's as invasive as aptasia IME. They kill most anything they touch. They also grow in virtually any environment. I have one growing in my refugium right now under a curly-Q energy saver bulb, partially shadowed by algae. I have noticed that flow may have something to do with it. For instance, I had one growing a foot in front of, and below a power head. It grew until it hit the flow, and then lost branches regularly after that, as if it was using the flow to spread itself around. Once these branches hit a rock, they attach and then they are there for good. Even cutting them to the base isn't sufficient. You will have to poison the rest of the stump that remains.

Right now I am maintaining a tank in a fitness club that is overrun with them, and majano anemones. I have recently been injecting them with an alkalinity solution (baking soda and water). I'm hoping this will do the trick ;)

Kenya trees will throw branches and make their way everywhere. It's as invasive as aptasia IME. They kill most anything they touch. They also grow in virtually any environment. I have one growing in my refugium right now under a curly-Q energy saver bulb, partially shadowed by algae. I have noticed that flow may have something to do with it. For instance, I had one growing a foot in front of, and below a power head. It grew until it hit the flow, and then lost branches regularly after that, as if it was using the flow to spread itself around. Once these branches hit a rock, they attach and then they are there for good. Even cutting them to the base isn't sufficient. You will have to poison the rest of the stump that remains.

Right now I am maintaining a tank in a fitness club that is overrun with them, and majano anemones. I have recently been injecting them with an alkalinity solution (baking soda and water). I'm hoping this will do the trick ;)

Wow! I had no idea they could be such an issue. Mine is in one of the lowest-flow sections of he tank, which from what you said could mean it isn't spreading as fast. Sounds like it might be a good idea to get it out of there, before it drops arms. Do specimens usually give any indication that they are about to drop arms?

And before I forget, do you know how Kenya trees war with other corals? Do they have nematocysts or toxins? Thanks!

I didn't know this! Looks like no Kenya then lol. I never knew that they could be that much of a problem.

I have heard of the majano, was watching a video where someone was injecting them with Kalkwasser and they basically just imploded from the inside to kill them.

Thanks for the heads up Mr. X :)

Hey Dave! How's the tank doing???

HEY BRIBO!!!!!

Doing good so far bud :) Been wanting to do another FTS to post but gonna wait till Tues when I am off so I can do my water change and clean the glass etc.

Picked up a couple more inhabitants. got another Astrea Snail and 2 bumble bee snails, also a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a Condy.

I am actually shocked at how well the condy is doing. It is hosting 2 of my sexy shrimp has basically stayed on the rock I put him on and it already looks like he has gotten BIGGER! My god if he keeps growing I will need a tank for him by himself hahaha.

The only thing I think I have lost is my Hammer Coral :( I think I got the water too clean (nutrients) and it looks like all that is left is just the stony branch.

That's awesome, glad to hear the nem is doing well. Sorry about the hammer...maybe it just didn't take well to shipping :(. Can't wait to see a fts

That's awesome, glad to hear the nem is doing well. Sorry about the hammer...maybe it just didn't take well to shipping :(. Can't wait to see a fts

Thanks bribo. Yeah, if the hammer is all I lost so far then I take that as a small victory.

Will definitely post some shots once I do the water change and clean up. All this has me wanting my bigger tank sooner lol. Good news is though, I just about got everything except the tank and extra live rock!

Haha I know how you feel on the upgrade! My little 20 is filled to the brim! If you really want a nice euphyllia coral go for a gold torch! You will not regret it

Haha I know how you feel on the upgrade! My little 20 is filled to the brim! If you really want a nice euphyllia coral go for a gold torch! You will not regret it

Oh I have been eyeing the gold torch big time! I can already see it in the tank, right hand side, a little to the back and just flowing in the current hahaha. :lol: Also been eyeing a mixed zoa colony from a website i came across. Only 75.00 and they look awesome!

I'm a sucker for zoas :p. yeah the gold torches are awesome, I shoulda pulled the trigger on one at a frag swap back in January but I already have a neon green one so I didn't.
2Sjcsjx.jpg
there's mine, they're great corals

I'm a sucker for zoas :p. yeah the gold torches are awesome, I shoulda pulled the trigger on one at a frag swap back in January but I already have a neon green one so I didn't.
2Sjcsjx.jpg
there's mine, they're great corals

Very nice! And I can see the zoa's lol.....they look great as well! I just found out that there is a monthly frag swap about 1 1/2 hours away from me every month. Think I may have to check that out and see what I can find lol.

The zoa garden grows everyday!

Definitely got To the swap! Everything is cheap as heck! When I went I got 6 polyps of gold mauls zoas, 5 polyps of sunny D's Palys , bam bam zoas, an ora red planet frag, an some sweet blue purple acans (5 heads) for a whopping total of $60. It is a great way to get very nice frags for cheap!

No Way!!!!

Ohhh snap....I know I will be going to the next one then. That is a awesome deal.

Back
Top Bottom