Dirty Sand Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is pretty simple TBH. I'd bet you are using tap water. Or, if you are using RO/DI, then you need to change your filters. I just got done learning this the hard way and my tank got overrun just like that. Toss in some red slime remover and increase flow in the tank. This will "band-aid" the issue, but it is obvious that the nutrients in your water are not good.

Understood. The main white lights are on from 1pm to 7pm and the dim blue lights (night time lights) are on the rest of the time. I assumed these lights would always stay on since they are pretty dim and are suppose to simulate night lighting.

I purchase RO/DI pre-mixed saltwater for my water changes from my LFS. The only thing I have ever changed on my filter is the black media in the middle compartment. I believe it's carbon? Don't know much about filters. I thought that's why these Nano tanks were great, they run by themselves. But that's not always true and that's why I am here to get help.

You have never taken out any of the filter floss or anything back there? It is prob jammed up with all kinds of junk. Can lead to a nitrate problem, leading to an algae/cyano problem. Try cleaning it out.

No I haven't. Not sure how to do that or what to even start with. This must be a huge part of the problem. Are there any websites explaining how to clean everything on this type of tank/filter?

Thanks a lot for helping. Clearly I am a beginner with these tanks so hopefully you guys have the patience to help me out.

Kyle

I have never owned/operated a nano tank. This is one of those times when you either hope for carey or one of the other nano-ites to stumble upon this thread or just do a simple google search about it.

I have a nano im just about to upgrade. I had this problem with diatoms too. Check your parameters regularly and carefully. You must leave your sand alone every time I kept cleaning mine it would immediately come back, i had to leave it to sort itself out while I got the chemistry right, (this is assuming your other levels are good) The main cause of your diatom outbreak is probably phosphate once i got mine down to zero and cut the lights bavk to 6 hours like you have, it started to recede, now I have my white light on for 10 hours a day. Also your corals definitely benefit from the 0 phosphate. I am getting great growth on mine and minimal algae! :)

Thanks for the info. What kind of testing kit do you recommend? I have the simple strips but the sheet got wet and I can't read the example colors so I'm going to buy a new testing kit. So did you completely turn off the blue dim light at night? Not sure if you read above, I keep the whites on 1-7 and the blue are always on. Thanks again.

Personally for now id put the blues on at twelve whites on as well at 1 turn the whites off at 6 keep just the blues on till seven then lights out! That's what I did with mine.
As for the tests I started out with the strips and had a few problems i went and bought a liquid kit, i use the api one they are pretty reliable. Although the strips were all reading safe when I did liquid test I actually had trace readings of ammonia, and a fair bit of nitrate (also helps feed algae)
I'd advise you buy a liquid api kit and a liquid phosphate kit.

Ok I will do that for now on. Still concerned about what else I need to do to clean this filter as mentioned above. All I do is replace the carbon.

As was mentioned above you need to clean your filter floss in the dirty tank water every time you do a water change, also changing your carbon bag periodically as per the manufacturer. I also rub a bag of phosphate remover, there are various different brands i use seachem phosguard seems to work quite well for me! :)

Oddball question. Did anyone mention cyano. Had plenty of cases and this looks like a prime candidate. +1 on the checking of perimeters as they are probably out of wack. Defiantly grab ahold of a phosphate test kit as this will highlight your issue. For cleanup i siphon the algae which stays in a sheet. The easiest method I've found is to take a 2 liter bottle and put a small hole in the cap for a long piece of airline tubing. Just squeeze the bottle and put the tube to the sand. Once you let go of the bottle it will start the siphon for you(no salty lips here). Suck up the sheets and your in business. Lower the lighting schedule for a while and slow the feeding. Again. Water tests are a religious event. Repeat often.

Yes, we have tossed out cyano and I still believe that it is what it is in his sandbed. That is actually a good idea with the bottle...I have just been siphoning with the tubing.

Ive been using the bottle idea for years. Nothing worse than drinking bacteria filled salt water (yummy).

Well I have never touched the filter floss. Not sure what that is or how I get to it. I will get a new test kit ASAP. My fighting conch hasn't moved yet and I took him out and don't even see anything in the shell.. They must of grabbed an empty shell when I asked for it..
Thanks for the help.

So, for my nano I have a filter pad in the top chamber, purgen(sp?) in the second and chemipro in the third. I change the filter pad every two weeks, purgen every six months or so and chemipro every four.

Have you thought about a skimmer?

I have a black sponge in the top compartment, black (carbon) in the middle, and little white cube like things in the bottom. I have only replaced the carbon which I do about every 2 weeks. I haven't looked into a skimmer because I didn't know if they work on a nano with everything built in like this. I am willing to buy stuff to add to my tank of it will help it out.

I am planning on going to my LFS today so if anyone can reply to point me in the right direction that would be great. I am going to buy an API testing kit and then ask them about their nano cubes and how they keep them so clean. I have the 28g CF-Quad Nano Cube to be exact. I am interested in purchasing stuff for my filter to help make my tank cleaner. Any suggestions would be great.

Ok I just tested everything today. I attached a picture of my results so I can get some help since this is my first time ever matching the colors up myself. Please let me know if anything stands out and how I can fix it.

I adjusted my lights as suggested and feed about once a day. The sand still looks awful getting gradually worse throughout the day.

Attachments

• image-1625421343.jpg
    image-1625421343.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom