Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

dither fish in nano reef

I have a 20g nano reef with about 25lbs of LR, corals, one firefish, one false perc, and various inverts. This tank has been up for a year and I previously went through many of the pitfalls involved with starting up. So, I took my time on this one and have added things really slowly and it has been doing great. The only real problem I have is keeping my phosphates down and as a result....hair algae. Any suggestions of combating this would be a nice side note.

However, my question now is what is a good dither fish for the firefish? When I first added it (6 weeks ago) it was out all the time, then (3 weeks ago) my lawnmower blenny died. I caught emerald crab eating it. I don't know if that is how it died or simply aftermath. Now for the last 3 weeks the firefish stays hidden almost all the time, except for feeding times and I was wondering what fish would help get him out more.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It probably wouldn't hurt to take a look at your water chemistry, if you haven't already, just to make sure that nothing is out of whack. My royal gramma becomes introverted if my water quality starts to slip a little. Maybe the firefish is doing the same thing?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #3

Is there anything specific I should test for? Everything I test for regularly seems to be normal.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking just the basics (pH, ammonia, trites, trates, alkalinity) which you had probably checked already. I always check everything anytime I spot a fish acting wierd, and my gramma is usually a pretty good indicator that skipping that PWC was a bad idea. Usually I find that my pH has dropped a little and he seems to be more sensitive to that than my other fish are. If everything checks out ok, maybe your firefish just needs some company.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #5

That's what I was thinking....and those are all things I test for and they are all okay. Any suggestions of fish?

And thanks for the help.

Tags
dither fish, nano, nano reef, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com