Do I HAVE to have a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelyeller89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about the five gallon hex that I'm going to turn into a pico reef, and if I have plenty of live rock and circulation do I NEED a filter? If I could take the filter part off, I could do a custom hood and fit more light in there. :angel:

I would when you first start just because the filter will pick up debri and floating sand while you cycle. After your live rock and cuc is in an cycled you don't need a filter. However you will need a current. Were you planning on a power head? If I were you I would not get a ph and just get a HOB filter that looks nice

Yes I was thinking powerhead. I only want to do it like this because I'm trying to open the top for more lighting.

If you make a custom hood I'd recommend elevating it so the lighting doesn't overheat the small amount of water. If you do this then a filter would fit easily

They have filters that go inside too and are slightly larger than power head. Just a thought. Either way you've got wires coming out

If you get a HOB filter it actually takes up way less space inside the tank than a ph. Just get one rated for like 15-20 gal strong flow

rebelyeller89 said:
I've been thinking about the five gallon hex that I'm going to turn into a pico reef, and if I have plenty of live rock and circulation do I NEED a filter? If I could take the filter part off, I could do a custom hood and fit more light in there. :angel:

Your live rock will be your primary biological filtration, so you won't need a filter. Of course, do not overstock with fish or overfeed. I have been doing a 24 gallon nano, and it has two small tomato clownfish. I didn't use any filters, and it has been doing very well.

Really I was thinking only coral, a shrimp or two and maybe a snail. I don't know of any fish that should go in a five gallon.

Basically this is what I'm working with. The filter takes up almost half of the top, which could be used for lighting. And the filter is sub-par for freshwater in my opinion.

Attachments

• image-3259203372.jpg
    image-3259203372.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 144
Stock ones usually are. I'd still leave room for a filter even if u don't need one right away. U only need room for cords. That filter is too bulky! What lights were u thinking

corinne118s said:
Stock ones usually are. I'd still leave room for a filter even if u don't need one right away. U only need room for cords. That filter is too bulky! What lights were u thinking

I'm not sure yet. I have A 10watt CF 50/50 bulb over it now and since I changed it from some crappy bulb my freshwater plants have exploded. How do you think two of those bulbs would do?

two of those bulbs would be more than sufficient lighting. you could grow just about anything

I agree that filter is too bulky, you can get an HOB much smaller that does a really good job.

You can run without a filter, but how do you plan on getting debris out?

Water changes would work for that i guess. I usually take the big end off my gravel vac and start the siphon myself. Works great on that aquarium, and since I'm not planning on fish there wouldn't really be an excess of waste.

A gd small filter I have used before is a fluval u2, you can either have the flow from the top, middle or bottom which would be preferred for a poco reef so ya getting a power head and a filter in one. Just a thought

U can use anything really so long as its cut to shape or fits in it. It's good for its flow and optional height nozzle

Ok then. I might do that and put chemipure or something in it.
So now I just have to set up my 20g to take this tanks place.

What do y'all think about doing two clip on fixtures with those bulbs, and no top?

I think it's a good idea. I'm about to remove the top off my nano cube because it's running way too hot. I plan on replacing it with a clip on lighting solution, but I haven't decided what yet.

Well running costs would be nice to be low, but also I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have led lights that support coral

Back
Top Bottom