Dotty back killing stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtimtam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so my royal dotty back has been fine, gets along with my little clown just fine but I've noticed a dead little crab on the sand!! Really small even for a 8 gallon!! A hitchhiker but it's dead and I can't get to it unless I pull apart the whole tank!! Will it foul the tank up!! Or if it starts to rot will brittle stars go to eat it?

Do you think it was him!! Killed my peppermint shrimp too!!! Saw him actually doing this?

And my snail was found dead yesterday!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell us more about the tank?
I'd assume that rather than a parameter issue, dottybacks need to be housed in 30 gallons or larger tanks with lots of places to hide. If they are not provided such hiding places and are 'chased' or bothered when hiding they will defend themselves. This tank is way too small for a dottyback.

Size doesn't really determine things, tendencies and behaviors do. The tank simply isn't large enough for a fish like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1, Dottybacks need more space than that. Didn't you say he killed your peppermint shrimp too? Plus, even if he's small now - he will grow, and consequently require more room. :)

I've seen live aquaria, and I can assure you that they weren't trying to make a sale as I know the people who work there, the tank size isn't the problem here, I was just wondering is it normal for them to kill mini hitchhiker crabs

It's a dottyback. That's the problem. The small tank just makes it worse. They're jerks and putting them in to small of a home is not gonna make them any more peaceful

dotty back in a 9g tank is not a good idea they are mean little devils and will kill every last living thing you have in that 9g
i have one in my 37g predator tank and he goes after my biggest fish with no fear at all
nothing intimidates them ,
in a 9g tank you are limited to certain fish and i can count them on 1 hand
and dotty backs are not on that list
always research the fish you want along with its needs and tank size so you dont come across this issue again

Thank you everyone for the advice, I have gotten rid of him!! And my clownfish is already doing better, much more confident!! I will be buying another clown soon, to make a pair!! I know the tank is small but in less than a year I will upgrade to alittle bigger maybe a 16 gallon !!

Thank you everyone!!!

no no no clowns require 20g or larger
like i said in post #11 you are limited to certain fish for a 9g
even if you upgrade to 16g down the line you still will be limited to certain fish
i cant say this enough
always research the fish you want along with its needs and tank size so you dont come across this issue again

I've had another 8 gallon running for 2 years now with 2 occelaris clowns but they were really small and I gave them to my cousin who has. 140 gallon reef, so they didn't grow much and now with my new occelaris they will move into a 38 gallon in less than a year I just want to pair them

Back
Top Bottom