Downsizing to a Nano advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering changing from a 75 gallon to a nano tank. I just have 2 clown fish so I don't think it would be too hard to do that. I'd like to have some live rock and maybe some corals. I realize I need to watch a smaller tank closer as things go downhill faster, but I'd like to move the tank to an area where we can enjoy it more - which means I need a smaller tank!

Besides which tank to get (I'm researching that now), does anybody have words of wisdom for me as I work towards this transition? I currently have a bio-ball sump system for filtration. Should I transfer some of those to the new filter box to get things started or is it better to start fresh with some live rock rubble from the get-go? I do have a green algae problem so I don't want to transfer THAT to the new tank.

Any thoughts on an 'optimal' sized tank for 2 clown fish, a few corals and maybe another small fish like a goby? Or any other advice that might be helpful for me to consider?

Thanks!
Jodi

I always suggest that the bigger the better but it can be done. It will involve more dilligence and care.

Nano's are typically 30g and under with 20g being quite popular. You could definitely keep your clownfish pair, a goby, and a couple other small fish. Livestock can die in mere hours in any size tank; Nano's are more forgiving than people give credit for. A simple setup would be:
20g (unless you are looking for a package deal like a nancube)
Hagen Aquaclear 110 (make into fuge)
x2 Tronic or Visitherm heaters (50W ea.)
Coralife Aqualight (2x65W) or a T5 unit

This would be an ideal setup for soft and lps corals. If you are tearing down your 75g you can use any live rock and sand from it.

Last edited:
The live rock from your old tanks will give you an almost instant cycle. Make sure you take an old tooth brush to it and scrub off all the hair algae and any other undesirables. It you put the tank on a stand or cabinet you can probably fit a sump to put a decent skimmer or fuge which will help out with some the the issues nano have with wild swings in the levels. I have a 12 gallon and as long as your good about doing weekly water changes they are ok.

Back
Top Bottom