Downsizing to nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good Morning!

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked....well at least that's what my father used to say.

That being said, I am downsizing to a 10 gallon and am looking for a little direction. Pulled the 10 out of storage, cleaned it really well, and painted the back black.

Last night, I added crushed coral (from a tank I took down last year) after rinsing it really well, live rock and water from the tank I am downsizing from, and a powerhead. It's a Koralia 750gph. I know that's kind of big for a nano but "supposedly" you can never have too much flow. Going to be a FOWLR for now but will eventually add some softies when I can set aside some money for a light strip.

Was just wondering if I am going to have to wait 6-8 weeks for this tank to cycle again or will things move along faster because of using elements from my established tank?

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 68
If the rock was never dried out you may not have a cycle, or a mini cycle. One thing I would recommend is using a reef sand as substrate instead of crushed coral. He CC tends to trap detritus and can cause spikes rather quickly in nano tanks

just tested params....all is where it should be...:)

never let the rock dry out...took it strait from big tank and plopped it in little one...just a short walk down the hall:D

should I wait a few days to move my critters? I would rather be safe than sorry

The easiest way to test is to pick up some pure ammonia, dose the tank to 1-2ppm and serif it's completely converted into nitrates in 24 hours

Back
Top Bottom