Emerald Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been having a hair algae and bubble algae issue. I have been doing consistent water changes and have been manually removing both but I wasn't seeming to get anywhere.

I went to my local store and they were telling me that an emerald crab would be one of the best additions to the tank. I trust my store as they have been in business for a number of years and their tanks are just amazing. Mid-michigan is truly blessed with a great fish store.

Anyway, I purchased an emerald crab and have been seeing some improvement, along with my water changes. Has anyone else purchased an emerald crab and had good luck or is it going to be up to me and my water changes, and keeping my levels straight?

Thanks for the input.

IME that is a band aid option. You will need to knock the algae out and fix the problem, otherwise it will continue to be a pain.

I have heard of emeralds eating GHA but have never seen it. I think it is a myth. Have you tested your source water for PO4?

I have had bubble algae, not sure about the other, but several of the live rocks also had emerald crabs. They def eat the bubble algae. They will sit there for hours some time eating and eating and eating away their pinchers are tiny though so it is a long process.

emeralds will eat valonia if they get around to it or if that is all there is for them to pick at. excess algae stems from nutrient imbalances and lack of water flow, start there :) I cannot blame the lfs, they are there to make a buck...business is business.

Emeralds also like to eat Xenia. And just about every other soft coral it can get it's bloody claws into. I should know, I'm going to need to re-aquascape this weekend to remove the 2 out of my tank. /sigh

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom