Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I think the tank I just bought is a 20 gallon... Tall. So does this change a lot? Or not really? I'm getting kind of nervous

Got live sand and live rock! Very cloudy but just wanted to post an update! Will post a few more when it clears!

Also a picture of my girlfriend and I buying 15 gallons of distiller water! We almost cleaned them out!

Attachments

• image-294282571.jpg
    image-294282571.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 326
  • image-2633445166.jpg
    image-2633445166.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 410
Hey everyone. Just wondering when I should put a raw shrimp in my tank to cycle it! I've had it going for about 3 days now without doing anything to it, cus I haven't been home, but I would just like some help on where to go next! Thank you!

Add the shrimp now. If your rock is live, the bacteria that live on it need ammonia, don't want them to die off. Put shrimp in a tied-off pantyhose though, so that when cycle is done you don't have to pick small pieces out. Turning the heater up will help the bacteria grow faster, too.

Beengirl said:
Add the shrimp now. If your rock is live, the bacteria that live on it need ammonia, don't want them to die off. Put shrimp in a tied-off pantyhose though, so that when cycle is done you don't have to pick small pieces out. Turning the heater up will help the bacteria grow faster, too.

I will as it tonight! Thank you very much! :)

I got a marineland 400 power head which runs 110gph. Is that okay for a 10 gallon? And I have a HOB

Just a little update! Shrimp is in and cycling! And now I just have to wait!

Also a picture of my freshwater tank.

Sorry if I'm boring everyone with these posts. I'm new to this hobby and I enjoy how friendly everyone is and how it's like a community! Thanks for all the help so far!

Attachments

• image-2900950818.jpg
    image-2900950818.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 400
  • image-2938248758.jpg
    image-2938248758.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 437
Evansimp said:
Just a little update! Shrimp is in and cycling! And now I just have to wait!

Also a picture of my freshwater tank.

Sorry if I'm boring everyone with these posts. I'm new to this hobby and I enjoy how friendly everyone is and how it's like a community! Thanks for all the help so far!

You are not boring anyone at all!!! We love pics of tanks!! We practically live for this stuff. Lol. It is so exciting to get a new SW tank going!! I have a 55g up and running and I'm also cycling a 30g that I just switched over from FW.

Nice FW tank BTW.

Light just came in! Making a few adjustments before I mount it on my tank! Will post some pictures soon!

Attachments

• image-3131698280.jpg
    image-3131698280.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 424
Got the light set up! And some more live rock. Tell me what you guys think? Suggestions?

Also! Think im having the ammonia spike! :) about how long till it drops you think?

Attachments

• image-1811563851.jpg
    image-1811563851.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 379
  • image-735486783.jpg
    image-735486783.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 361
  • image-2215428673.jpg
    image-2215428673.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 361
Evansimp said:
Got the light set up! And some more live rock. Tell me what you guys think? Suggestions?

Also! Think im having the ammonia spike! :) about how long till it drops you think?

It should start dropping pretty soon if you have live rock. It wasn't dry rock when you got it, right? I'd probably go ahead and take the shrimp out and in a couple days test to see if you are getting nitrites!

Bearchumjs said:
It should start dropping pretty soon if you have live rock. It wasn't dry rock when you got it, right? I'd probably go ahead and take the shrimp out and in a couple days test to see if you are getting nitrites!

It is indeed live rock! :) well... That's what I was told!

So I'm done with shrimp?! Thank god! my room smells so bad :(

Will do! :) I need to get a test kit soon though! :( they need to make those things cheaper haha

Evansimp said:
It is indeed live rock! :) well... That's what I was told!

So I'm done with shrimp?! Thank god! my room smells so bad :(

Will do! :) I need to get a test kit soon though! :( they need to make those things cheaper haha

Yeah, I'd take out the shrimp then.

Those tests are expensive! But they last awhile. So do you have an api freshwater master test kit? That's what i used because its what I had. I was told it would work, and it did. The only thing I was warned about was the colors would be slightly off. It didn't matter and the colors were almost exactly the same. Readings of zero looked like they were supposed to. The only difference I noticed was ammonia was a cloudy yellow instead of see through like it is with freshwater.

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah, I'd take out the shrimp then.

Those tests are expensive! But they last awhile. So do you have an api freshwater master test kit? That's what i used because its what I had. I was told it would work, and it did. The only thing I was warned about was the colors would be slightly off. It didn't matter and the colors were almost exactly the same. Readings of zero looked like they were supposed to. The only difference I noticed was ammonia was a cloudy yellow instead of see through like it is with freshwater.

For freshwater I have the strips that say work for freshwater and saltwater! Il do a test in a few days when ammonia drops! Because nitrates usually come after ammonia has spiked and then dropped right? I'm still new to all this saltwater stuff!

Yeah, nitrites are come when ammonia starts dropping. You may already have some since your using live rock. Go on... Do a test ... You know you want to! Lol!

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah, nitrites are come when ammonia starts dropping. You may already have some since your using live rock. Go on... Do a test ... You know you want to! Lol!

Haha I would love to but I have about.. 10 strips left that I'm using for 2 tanks! I'm jut trying to put off spending another 40$ as long as I can haha! I can't wait for this tank to cycle! I'm getting excited

It should go pretty quick. I got my live rock on 8/22 and was cycled and bought some CUC on 9/4. :). What are you going to buy first!?

Bearchumjs said:
It should go pretty quick. I got my live rock on 8/22 and was cycled and bought some CUC on 9/4. :). What are you going to buy first!?

That's nice to know! :)

Umm for corals.. Maybe some zoas first? But I have some people say "add fish first" and some say " add coral first" , so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get clowns first, or corals! What do you think?

Evansimp said:
That's nice to know! :)

Umm for corals.. Maybe some zoas first? But I have some people say "add fish first" and some say " add coral first" , so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get clowns first, or corals! What do you think?

I got an emerald crab, 2 nassarius snails, and 3 blue leg hermits. The fish I wanted had Ich... No thanks! When my light comes in on tuesday the next thing I will get are some zoas. I will get a fish in about a month. My inverts could be harboring Ich.

Bearchumjs said:
I got an emerald crab, 2 nassarius snails, and 3 blue leg hermits. The fish I wanted had Ich... No thanks! When my light comes in on tuesday the next thing I will get are some zoas. I will get a fish in about a month. My inverts could be harboring Ich.

Yeah a cleanup crew Will be first! Il ask you guys what to get when that time comes! Should I wait till the tank is completely cycled before I get any CUC? Guy at my respectable lfs said to wait a week after I set up the tank an then get CUC, but I thought I had to wait longer.

Back
Top Bottom