Feeding advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJsChaos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one clown fish and one 6-line Wrasse. I went and bought some frozen brine shrimp, but my tank gets so scummy when I use it. The other option I'm using is flakes. I feed these two once a day and just 5-10 very small pieces. Is this enough? Are there other feeding options I should be considering? Would my Emerald crab benefit from scraps my fish don't eat?

the frozen brine are you using the whole cube
you can use a razor blade cut off a small sliver and put the rest in a zip lock bag
get a small strainer and rinse before feeding it will help cut back on the sludge in water
depending the tank size you could look into a skimmer

I would also recommend some frozen mysis, they're a lot larger than brine so you don't have to feed as many for your fish. They're about $5 for a bunch of frozen cubes (like brine)

I would suggest a variety of foods. I feed mine every other day. I feed flake, Vitamin fortified brine and mysis shrimp. I also put some dried seaweed for my tangs.

Feeding Options

I have one clown fish and one 6-line Wrasse. I went and bought some frozen brine shrimp, but my tank gets so scummy when I use it. The other option I'm using is flakes. I feed these two once a day and just 5-10 very small pieces. Is this enough? Are there other feeding options I should be considering? Would my Emerald crab benefit from scraps my fish don't eat?

Hello JJ...

There are several kinds of frozen foods you can try besides the shrimp. Beef heart and plankton are very good. Freeze dried foods, like tubifex and shrimp aren't messy. Flaked foods are typically high phosphate and overfeeding this stuff can cause algae problems. The best flaked on the market is likely Cobalt. If you want to feed flaked, this is the one to feed.

These foods are very good for all tank inhabitants.

B

Wow, thank you for all the responses. I'm going to try a couple of these suggestions and I'll let you know how they work.

the frozen brine are you using the whole cube
you can use a razor blade cut off a small sliver and put the rest in a zip lock bag
get a small strainer and rinse before feeding it will help cut back on the sludge in water
depending the tank size you could look into a skimmer

It's actually a sheet of frozen brine shrimp. I'm going to reduce feeding to every second day and see if this helps.

I going to switch between frozen foods and flakes.

Back
Top Bottom