Feeding Yellow Clown Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just added a very small one to my tank, and as he just sort of sits around in different places all day (mainly on top of one of my filters, or heater!), he doesn't chase after food like my other 2 fish when I feed the tank.

How can I make sure he gets some of the brineshrimp/mysis/flake etc. that I put in?

Give it time (days) to acclimate to the new suroundings. When it's hungry it will eat.
You can try soaking the food in garlic extract to see if that entices it.

He's been sitting in various positions on the top of one of my filters all day, barely moving! He's fine, but very docile!

My other fish have being swimming around and eating since day one, I just asked with the goby having strange behaviour and just sort of sitting around (like they do!). He's at the other side of the tank from where I feed, etc.

Maybe he'll get hungry before too long and dash to the other side of the tank when he smells the food? :p

These fish do nto expell much energy as they like to "perch" on LR and corals. They do not require the same amount as more active fish. That said, it does need to eat. The problem with this fish is that it will not compete with more aggressive fish for food. Give it a few days and see how it goes. I have one yellow and one green one in my pico and they have been going fine for over a year now.

Lando: Ive read that you should only keep one in a small tank, or they'll fight with eachother?

Is your green one just the same as a yellow clown goby, but green? Ive not seen a green one before!

If ive not seen him go for food in a few days, should I try target feeding with something? I can't see him ever rushing to the surface to get food like my other fish do...

The green one is very similar to a yellow citron clown goby...only green. My yellow clown goby is not a citron species.

Cool, I had a look at them last night, I didn't realise there were so many different colours/species! I like the yellow one with black fins too.

My yellow clown goby isn't a citron either, does that mean I could add a green one without problems?

Hehe, I fed a little bit of crushed up flake to mine earlier, and he hesitantly ate it. He needs it crushed very small though, and it needs to be right next to where he is - he won't come up to the top like the other fish. Could prove challenging!

He's jumped out of my tank, and I didn't see him in time :(

I didn't know they were jumpers. He was that tiny that he could fit up the narrow gaps at the sides of my lid, nevermind the ventilation holes.

I want to get another one but the same thing may happen again :(

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I came very close myself yesterday. I had the eggcrate off for feeding time, and heard a splash. I didn't realize till hours later that my Purple Pseudochromis had jumped. It landed in a corner overflow so it's still alive. I've been unable to net it out yet.

Oh no, I had exactly the same thing with my dottyback, only he landed on the carpet, but I caught him in time.

My goby had only been in the tank for 2 days, and was really settling in today, swimming all around etc. I've not heard of them jumping before. I'd love to get another one, maybe a bit bigger, but he could still get out of the holes!

Hope your dottyback recovers.

I'm going to get another lid made up, that covers 100% of the top, then add another goby or two.

Lando: I guess the reason you have 2 in your pico, is because one is a citron species (green), and the yellow one isn't? If I added 2 Citrons, or 2 yellows, they'd fight, is that right? Although I have just read an article that the green goby (green clown goby?) can be aggressive towards the yellow clown goby, and/or other fish of similar size/appearance. I'd love to add 2 though, and finally call that it for my fish!

You should look into getting some netting to maintain the surface gas exchange at the surface of the tank. Otherwise be sure to have plenty of holes drilled in the new top as to not enclose the top. That could play havoc with your pH.

I've just adapted my current lid today, basically blocking off the narrow gaps at the sides, where my goby got out. There are still holes in the top, but I need these for ventilation, and it would be extremely bad luck if anything managed to get out of these!

Back
Top Bottom