Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I target feed my mandarin and my scooter with a turkey baster. The mandarin is eating frozen foods for me so far and I just squirt some of the food her way and she munches.

I also made sure she ate prepared foods at the LFS, this one I got is an ORA and is raised on prepared foods but alot of times they too will revert to pods. I have a fuge in my 29g cube where these fish are and I also have a 125g with refugium in case the mandarin in the cube doesnt work out as I have really healthy population of pods in there.
O have a nautilus sea squirt I use for target feeding corals and I. Reverse to remove flat worms it's like a turkey Bastet on crack it is extendable to reach deep tanks and has graduated volume marks so you can feed or dose the right amount

Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I have the sea squirt too, I use it in my 125g since it's so tall. lol But that works too.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Having Copepods will that affect my levels??
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpendrey
Copepods only help they consume unused food and waste an provide food to larger creatures
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Any tank having live rock and being setup for a while will eventually have Copepods anyway they are good
Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

can add them to a nano leave them for a few months and then add a mandarin? do i need to keep replenshing the copepods or will the breed on thier own?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
can add them to a nano leave them for a few months and then add a mandarin? do i need to keep replenshing the copepods or will the breed on thier own?

Please some one jump on this question as I would like to know also.

Live streams down until my lighting schedule is back to normal
newbjank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should just try to buy a mandarin that eats prepared food. It's better for the fish and you.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I have never lost a mandarin by following a few simple steps. When setting up my tank I have always found people who have health old reef tanks and purchased some of my live rock and some of my live sand from them I have found luck locally but you can always check your LFS and if they have a large display tank that's the one to buy from not thier livestock tanks. I also buy "seasoned" water again finding someone local to buy water that comes from thier tank. Doing this make my tanks cycle super fSt it is more like moving a tank than setting up new as everything is live. When you get good live sand a d rock you get a free kick tart to your cope population. Copepods only require a running tank with live rock and a source of food to multiply. I have never put anything in to feed them as they live off scraps and waste. So just get your tank setup with the most season ingredients you can. Once your cycle ends add live stock the. Wait for your tank to find it's rhythm this usually happens after a few months when your levels stay in check and you know what you are looking at and looking for In your tank and livestock. At this point if I am not seeing a bunch of cope action in the tank I buy some live copes either reef nutrition, reef soup, or locally cultured and add them. Once I have a steady amount of copes I add my mandarin and then just keep an eye on him. If thier tummy ever doesn't look full add some more copes even when I get them eating other foods I still watch the cope pop. I run my tanks almost filled to the gills with live rock so the copes have many homes and lots of hiding places to reproduce but running a refugium could never hurt to keep a tank stocked with copes.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found cyclops on the LFS and it's frozen copods will this work cause I really want a mandarin too!!

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com