Filtration in Nano Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBTennisNumberOne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'll first list my tanks stats...

Reg. 10 gallon
2 in sand bed mixed with crushed coral
Standard aquarium bulb (nothing special)
20 galloon aquean HOB filter
Filled with Live Rock (not sure how much weight)
1 ricordea mushroom
1 red mushroom
2 hermit crabs
3 snails
tons of other little critter on my live rock

My ten gallon nano tank that has been running for about a year and a half...I, like most people new to the salt scene, made many of the normal mistakes that I have now learned from...like using tap water instead of RO or distilled... doing a cycle with fish...etc...I got busy the last year with school and things and have done NOTHING to the tank....I mean nothing lol I would top off and tank with distilled and I would turn the lights on and off....and suprisingly the tank is better than it has even been. There is little to no algae and everything seems fine...The mushrooms haven't multiplied or split or anything but they're living....

I really want to revamp my tank and give it much more care and attention

I'm planning on tranfering everything into a 20 gallon tank and using the old 10 gallon as a sump/refugium...the only thing is I'm not really "experienced' with this...I will be doing alot of reading and searching for information...I guess a ten gallon sump would be complete overkill for a 20 gallon tank but i guess it couldn't hurt...right? It would all just depend on the size of the pump I use...correct? how many gph would ya'll reccomend? Wattage and lighting? I'm thinking I want a decent source of medium light most likely T-5s....I have heard the the wattage rule of 3-4 watts per gallon is a little differnet with nanos...just wondering

Also the tank will be on my bureau so the sump/fuge would be on the same level on side the tank..so I don't think i'll be able to relay on gravity for my overflow into the sump...can I just use 2 pumps? one on each end? Also any suggestions on how to make a homemade overflow for a small tank?

Thanks guys...I'll post pics soon so ya'll can see what I'm workin with....

Tyler

Back
Top Bottom