Finished setting up my Aquapod24!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimmaB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just finished setting up my Aquapod 24 today, I have 20# rock 8# live rock and 20# live sand. Now the waiting game starts for it to cycle. Anyone have advice on whether to run lights during cycle and how long? I have blue and white LEDs.

It's a personal preference I ran mine for 10hrs.
2hrs blue
6hrs blue/whits
2hrs blue
Then off for the rest of the night

Wow I really like the aquascape.
Here's my tank that I just moved everything into
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400458667.094592.jpg
I had a 29gal tank

This is my 25gal overflow softie reed tank

:Looks Nice! I see you have both your powerheads on the back wall, I have mine on the sides right now which makes a swirling effect but I might move them around a little.

I did that because of the way my overflow is in the middle. I would leave yours where they are!

One thing I can say is do not rush. Take your time. Do not start fast with the cycle process

I agree with Frankie on everything so far! Good start and that aquascape is awesome! Lots room for coral

If you can invest in a marine salt water test kit. The API one. It's like $25 on amazon. Get it test your water every like 3-4 days

I have a small strip test kit that the LFS gave me but it doesn't seem to work that great. I will look into buying that one, I have another ? for ya, I have Chemi-pure in my media basket, is this going to effect the tank during the cycle? is it bad for it?

No it is not. It should be fine. In all honesty when I had my biocube, which I'm sure your tank is somewhat close to that. All I had in the media basket was rubble rock, chaeto, and a bag of carbon. I also did weekly water changes of 5 gallons and did not run a skimmer

Everything seems good so far, I ordered a MJ1200 to replace the return pump as the MJ900 I got with the tank is pretty old and making noises, I also wanted to have a bit more circulation through the filter area. My temp seems to stay around 76 degrees, should I add a small heater in one of the back chambers? What temp. do you all hold your tanks around?

ok I will see about a small heater to keep it in that 78 area, mine is more in the 75/76 area right now. I keep my condo at 74 so that is probably why. Recommend any brand or type? There are soo many out there lol

ok thanx, ordering this week, I replaced my MJ900 with a MJ1200 and the difference is amazing, probably becuz the old one was beat up. Now I have good flow into the media basket and back area. My nitrites are slowly picking up , this is a normal part of the cycle correct?

Seems the MJ1200 and light cycle are keeping my tank around 79 so I might not get that heater just yet, This morning I woke up to small red and orange looking dots over everything, im guessing they are diatoms, or some sort of bacteria growing. Cycle seems to be going smoothly, my nitrites are really high now and nitrates climbing

Back
Top Bottom