First 10 Gallon Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoy Dent

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I've wanted a saltwater tank since I saw the cutest pair of clowns in a 10 gallon tank at a friends house. That was 5 years ago! I've finally got enough money to start one and set it up last week.
I've already posted a couple questions on other threads but I want this one to be the official build thread and I'll post any future questions I have here.
Anyway enough talking here are some pictures from last week.

Attachments

• 1407175048764.jpg
    1407175048764.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 1407175078789.jpg
    1407175078789.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 1407175202198.jpg
    1407175202198.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
That's a nice little tank! Do you have any powerheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice scape, 2 things I see that could lead to issues, 1 take the shroud off the light clamp it will lead to overheating as the heat sinks on the par bulbs get hot!! 2 swing arm hydrometers are notoriously unreliable, refractometers are a great investment.

Yep it's a little koralia 240, and I also have a small 10 gallon filter (for flow only)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had the light on all day when I was testing things out and the only thing that got hot was the bulb. And I plan on getting a refractometer in a couple months when I get some more money :)

I know but your trapping that heat in the heat sink, it's designed to release the heat to the air and that can't be done with the shroud. Should be a screw or 2 to get it separate from the socket itself. It will over heat your bulb if you don't and it will stop working.

Oh ok thanks I'll get right on that :)

Also should I have the light on for a couple hours while cycleing to keep the stuff on the LR alive ?

This might be a stupid question but is this some kind of starfish on the clam? I'll see it one minute and then later it'll be gone.

Attachments

• 1407209143049.jpg
    1407209143049.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 98
Yep an asterina star. Common hitchhiker and harmless

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok cool I've found two of them at the same time, not sure how many I actually have. Will they survive the cycle?

Ok so I'm still trying to figure out a CUC for my tank. I really want a Emerald crab, a fire shrimp, and this little red starfish that my lfs has, but I'm not sure if that's enough or should I get a couple turban snails, and zebra hermit crabs?
Also would a CUC sustain the bio filter in the tank for 4 weeks before I get back from vacation or should I go ahead and get the clownfish before I go?

Yay I have Nitrite and Nitrate now and my Ammonia is down to 0.5ppm. To my understanding that means that I'm about half way done :)

Back
Top Bottom