First Nano Reef! Joey's Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it a lot! So far it's been slightly more complicated in terms of testing and staying on top of top-offs, but I kinda like that. I like the diversity of inhabitants, too. I'm definitely hooked. Speaking of inhabitants, do you know anything about porcelain crabs? I saw one at the LFS and it was awesome.

I think they're generally considered reef safe, and stay fairly small. I believe they are just filter feeders. In my little experience, though, and from what I've read, no crab is exactly reef safe, even if they don't pick at your corals, they'll still probably walk all over them. It's up to you if you wanna try. They are really beautiful.

Update time! Big update time..

Well, the tank has been rolling along great! It's a two months now, with only one hiccup. About 2 weeks ago, I needed to recharge some purigen, so followed the instructions perfectly and even let It soak for an extra two days in the RO w/ Prime. I put it back in the tank, and within minutes everything was closed. I mean completely closed. I quick checked everything and my nitrates went up to around 80ppm. I immediately did a 50% WC. The days following I would see a rise in nitrates to about 40ppm. I did a WC almost every day until about 4 days ago, when it began to re-stabilize. My nitrates are still hanging around 10-20, but they're coming down. I'm hopeful they will be back to zero soon. The Birdsnest frag I added a few days before this was doing great, but it quickly bleached when the nitrates went through the roof. It's actually coming back and regaining all of it's color. I though for sure it was a goner. Plus! We finally have a fish! I saw this guy at the LFS for $9.99. I had to get him to see some life in the tank. He's got such a great personality.

Coral:
Frogspawn
Duncan
Radioactive Dragon Eyes (Labeled as, atleast)
Green Tipped Birsdsnest

CUC:
Blue leg hermit
Bumble bee snail
Cerith Snail (x2

Fish:
Yellow Clown Goby

Pics!

SPS in it's prime

pKyX7e8.jpg

Frogspawn:
2XlpAzs.jpg

Duncan:
P2vSEUO.jpg

YCG: For reference, that's the return nozzle for an Evolve 8...He's tiny!

3guY0t9.jpg

I started noticing some brownish hair algae. I'm going to pick up an emerald crab to make quick work of if until I get the root problem fixed. I'm going to make a DIY egg crate media basket this weekend and start my refugium then as well. :)

Just be careful with crabs they can go rogue. If your having an algae problem it's better to figure out/solve the problem ( most likely excess nutrients). Have you tested for nitrate or phosphate lately?

Just be careful with crabs they can go rogue. If your having an algae problem it's better to figure out/solve the problem ( most likely excess nutrients). Have you tested for nitrate or phosphate lately?

It's definitely excess nutrients. I had a mishap with purigen (read the most recent update) and since then I haven't been able to get my nitrates down below 10.

Back
Top Bottom