First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How did it go?

Got a little ahead of myself and picked up a heater and a koralia 425 powerhead for a teeny bit more :whistle: Also got Caribsea Arag-Alive bimini pink live sand. Gonna set the tank up tomorrow and hopefully pick up the live rock tomorrow as well.

I do a have a question though. Where can i get RO/DI water? and if i cant find, is distilled water ok to use?

Got a little ahead of myself and picked up a heater and a koralia 425 powerhead for a teeny bit more :whistle: Also got Caribsea Arag-Alive bimini pink live sand. Gonna set the tank up tomorrow and hopefully pick up the live rock tomorrow as well. I do a have a question though. Where can i get RO/DI water? and if i cant find, is distilled water ok to use?

Your LFS should have RO/DI water but if not the water you get out of the machine at like Walmart will be better than using tap.

Your LFS should have RO/DI water but if not the water you get out of the machine at like Walmart will be better than using tap.

I use watermill water is rodi and $0.15/gal lol that's what I use for my top offs but my lrs sells me premixed saltwater for $0.50/gal for my water changes.

Alright, thanks! I also realized that's it's probably a good idea to silicon my light fixture so my lights don't corrode and to protect from salt creep. Now, since it's obviously not gonna be submerged in water can I use any type of silicon?

Oh, my saltwater mix says not to pour salt directly into aquarium but i won't have anything in it as i'm adding live sand and rock last. Is it ok? I don't have any buckets to use so i was thinking of just mixing the water in the tank.

Oh, my saltwater mix says not to pour salt directly into aquarium but i won't have anything in it as i'm adding live sand and rock last. Is it ok? I don't have any buckets to use so i was thinking of just mixing the water in the tank.

5gal carpenter's buckets are about $2.49 at home depot and lowes and walmart and well and they have lids for transportation of water to and from anywhere. I have 8 buckets for all my tanks lol

Alright, thanks! I also realized that's it's probably a good idea to silicon my light fixture so my lights don't corrode and to protect from salt creep. Now, since it's obviously not gonna be submerged in water can I use any type of silicon?

What type if light fixture do you have that you want to silicone it shut..?

5gal carpenter's buckets are about $2.49 at home depot and lowes and walmart and well and they have lids for transportation of water to and from anywhere. I have 8 buckets for all my tanks lol What type if light fixture do you have that you want to silicone it shut..?

Here are some photos of the fixture. Employee told me I should silicon it shut.

Attachments

• image-3305041411.jpg
    image-3305041411.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2707735252.jpg
    image-2707735252.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 87
Here are some photos of the fixture. Employee told me I should silicon it shut.

Eye sea.. well you can use any black or clear rtv, I suggest black because clear silicone can yellow over time especially with the heat from those lamps.

Eye sea.. well you can use any black or clear rtv, I suggest black because clear silicone can yellow over time especially with the heat from those lamps.

Alright, well I went to go swap my tank cause the siliconing was questionable and it had a chip but I'm ready to go. I'm currently doing a leak test and cleanup. Unfortunately, I don't think ill have the live rock today but would I still be able to add the live sand? And just throw in the live rock once I get it?

I found a tub and tile sealant. It's white but I don't really mind. I only plan on keeping the light fixture for a while while I gather up some cash for a nice LED one.

Siliconing in done :) messy but it does the job lol I made sure to get every single gap.

Attachments

• image-52798780.jpg
    image-52798780.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 119
Alright it's times to fill her up! She's practically perfectly level.

Attachments

• image-1703802963.jpg
    image-1703802963.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 127
Alright so it's up and running! I did notice a few things I'm gonna wanna change in the future like the stock filter. I might swap it out completely and free up space in the back for a skimmer or a HOB filter since the compartment doesn't really have the many slots for equipment and it limits space. As you can see my water level can't really go any higher since it blocks my heater. Apart from that I'm extremely happy. I am a little nervous since the stand is particle board but for a 17 gallon I think I'm just being too nervous.

I'm currently letting the water heat up and mix and then I'll add the live sand. Hopefully I'll have the live rock ready for tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-596608890.jpg
    image-596608890.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2008872780.jpg
    image-2008872780.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2466295335.jpg
    image-2466295335.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 111
Probably my last post for the night. Everything is running well and I'm still hoping I can get a cycle started tomorrow night. So far the tank is at 25C steady and in between 1.0024 and 1.0025 on the hydrometer. I don't have the light fixture on yet as I'm still letting the silicon dry so I might have to tweak the temperature. I also decided not to add the live sand until I get the live rock.

wow you really sealed the hell outta that thing, how do you plan to change bulbs..?

I don't lol I'm only gonna use that fixture for a month or two to allow my tank to mature and to have some sort of lighting. I'm probably gonna pick up this 120w dimmable LED fixture so that I can start with soft corals an then move my way up to more difficult corals without having to worry much about lighting.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/141018309178

I don't lol I'm only gonna use that fixture for a month or two to allow my tank to mature and to have some sort of lighting. I'm probably gonna pick up this 120w dimmable LED fixture so that I can start with soft corals an then move my way up to more difficult corals without having to worry much about lighting.

Full Spectrum Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light Coral Marine Reef Fixture Lamp | eBay

ok good lol, it would take a hammer and chizel to get in there, and sounds like a plan my man, looking good so far.

Thanks! Glad to know at least someone is following.

I also have plans to change the filter compartment for a HOB skimmer or filter and get a custom acrylic top but I'm more focused on getting that live rock in tonight!

Any tips for rock stacking? I was thinking of doing a tiny layer of sand so the rock isn't completely only sitting on bare glass and then adding the rest of the sand around the rocks to anchor them slightly.

Thanks! Glad to know at least someone is following.

I also have plans to change the filter compartment for a HOB skimmer or filter and get a custom acrylic top but I'm more focused on getting that live rock in tonight!

Any tips for rock stacking? I was thinking of doing a tiny layer of sand so the rock isn't completely only sitting on bare glass and then adding the rest of the sand around the rocks to anchor them slightly.

i would do at least 1.5"-2" sand bed around the rock if you want a tall scape, if not you can do the rock after the sand if your want a low-ish scape with more swimming room, i would do a pyramid shaped scape in that tank with lotsof caves and passages and shelves for coral so you wont have to rescape later on for reef.

i would do at least 1.5"-2" sand bed around the rock if you want a tall scape, if not you can do the rock after the sand if your want a low-ish scape with more swimming room, i would do a pyramid shaped scape in that tank with lotsof caves and passages and shelves for coral so you wont have to rescape later on for reef.

I was thinking of a pyramid scape. I've got 20lbs of live sand. You think it'll be enough? I believe the tank is 20"x12"

Back
Top Bottom