First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking of a pyramid scape. I've got 20lbs of live sand. You think it'll be enough? I believe the tank is 20"x12"

that will be perfect, im going with 40lbs of reed grade arrag-alive for my bedroom tank, and its a 20g long.

I'm hoping my cycle will be short lived, I'm already going through a bunch of stocking ideas!

I'm hoping my cycle will be short lived, I'm already going through a bunch of stocking ideas!

i had the same problem with my 36g bow front, i was so impatient with it, i think i only lasted a week and a half and i got my caramel clowns lol

Ahhhh but I know I have to be patient lol I was thinking this:

1 oce clown
1 black oce clown
1 purple or regular fire fish
6 varied hermits (2x electric blue, 2x electric orange, 2x scarlet reef)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 turbo snail
3 nassarius snails
3 nerites

Is this too much?

Ahhhh but I know I have to be patient lol I was thinking this:

1 oce clown
1 black oce clown
1 purple or regular fire fish
6 varied hermits (2x electric blue, 2x electric orange, 2x scarlet reef)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 turbo snail
3 nassarius snails
3 nerites

Is this too much?

no it sounds good, you can get a goby as well like a yellow watchmen and a pistol shrimp combo, theyre fun to watch, and i would get matching clowns, idk im not to keen on inter species mixing but it would look more balanced to me to have matching clowns like frostbites or black and whites

no it sounds good, you can get a goby as well like a yellow watchmen and a pistol shrimp combo, theyre fun to watch, and i would get matching clowns, idk im not to keen on inter species mixing but it would look more balanced to me to have matching clowns like frostbites or black and whites

Oh really? Cool, I was thinking if a clown goby but the relationship between a yellow watchmen and pistol shrimp sound pretty interesting. Well I'm up for it if it isn't too much of a bioload!

And there it is! The cycle has commenced! Gonna post some more pictures once the water clears :) I'm so excited! Lol

Attachments

• image-3208256076.jpg
    image-3208256076.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 101
Water is clearing up. Here are a few more pictures :) I might just even out the sand though as I have a huge lump in the front from when I added it.

Attachments

• image-556423143.jpg
    image-556423143.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-49574276.jpg
    image-49574276.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2130562214.jpg
    image-2130562214.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-83505533.jpg
    image-83505533.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3975373518.jpg
    image-3975373518.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 116
I've never had an issue with color variation of clowns. As long as they are the same species and you don't get two females you'll be fine. Just buy then small and they will establish who is going to be the boss. I've had a snowflake clown and a black onyx I believe what it was called. Basically the exact same as my snowflake just black. The orange clown established that it was the boss within a short time and then they paired up shortly after.

I've never had an issue with color variation of clowns. As long as they are the same species and you don't get two females you'll be fine. Just buy then small and they will establish who is going to be the boss. I've had a snowflake clown and a black onyx I believe what it was called. Basically the exact same as my snowflake just black. The orange clown established that it was the boss within a short time and then they paired up shortly after.

Cool I didn't know the rules of interspecies keeping of clowns but now I know, and as far as the water level I'm curious as well.

Just curious. What's the reason for the low water level?

Thanks for the info! And I just haven't had time to make sw mix. I had to remove some water when I was adding the rock and sand so the tank wouldn't over flow.

Here are a few more pictures now that the tank has cleared.

Attachments

• image-3772012405.jpg
    image-3772012405.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2506019302.jpg
    image-2506019302.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3297488553.jpg
    image-3297488553.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3361299508.jpg
    image-3361299508.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1184108443.jpg
    image-1184108443.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 114
looking good, just get some more water in there! lol

I'm currently working on that lol I'm gonna pick up a test kit tomorrow since I don't have my old ones. Some of the live rock unfortunately got a little dry on the way home so whatever die off is currently my ammonia source plus whatever didn't survive in the live sand. Is that enough or should I add in a shrimp?

I'm currently working on that lol I'm gonna pick up a test kit tomorrow since I don't have my old ones. Some of the live rock unfortunately got a little dry on the way home so whatever die off is currently my ammonia source plus whatever didn't survive in the live sand. Is that enough or should I add in a shrimp?

i hear the table shrimp method is the easiest, like a set-it and forget it.

Here lol some more water. It's about as much as I can add without going over the heater. Probably the worst drawback of the tank. Might add the heater to the side of the tank if I have to. Anyway I'm gonna test the water tomorrow and see what the ammonia is at. If need be I'll add another source. Is there any other type of food that's safe enough for use?

Attachments

• image-1813303578.jpg
    image-1813303578.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 111
I also noticed that my light really does heat up the water pretty well. I had my heater set to 75F and the light made it rise to 84F :s so I lowered my heater to about 70F. The light is currently off and I'll have my window open all night. I wanna keep my temp around 78ish. I did have my light on for about 12 hours today though.. I need to pick up a timer and I definitely will before I get any fish. Is 8hrs on enough? Then actinic until the time I usually go to bed when I get my new fixture?

Back
Top Bottom