First nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, those lights aren't going to support any anemones or SPS corals, just some of the easier softies. I would upgrade to T5 HO's if you get a chance. You still won't be farming SPS or anything, but you'll be able to keep any LPS or soft corals you want. Until then there are lots of zoas and mushrooms and other soft corals you can have fun with.

Do you think T5s will fit in my fixture? The one with the T8s, of course.

I'm no electrician, but I doubt it. I'm sure the ballast on a 15W T8 fixture isn't going to handle a 39W T5 bulb even if it did fit.

I'm no electrician, but I doubt it. I'm sure the ballast on a 15W T8 fixture isn't going to handle a 39W T5 bulb even if it did fit.

I agree. Got a power head today! Should I put it on the side opposite of the filter?

This is the one I bought.

img_2273695_0_3d8947785afb65c115662e945c486969.jpg

Place it wherever it will keep your water moving without dead spots. Be willing to move it and experiment until you are happy with it. The only proper place for it is where it does the job best.

Place it wherever it will keep your water moving without dead spots. Be willing to move it and experiment until you are happy with it. The only proper place for it is where it does the job best.

Awesome. Thanks. Was I right that hydor is reputable?

Hydors are great. I have two Hydor Koralia 425's and they have worked great for nearly 2 years now. Excellent pumps.

Great. I'm glad. Thanks. I couldn't pass up $30 for it. I figured that was a pretty good deal. This is where I placed it.

img_2273772_0_e1db5e5a6c901eddfa92a37ee005f0ac.jpg

I tried to put it where it made a lot of movement on the surface of the water.

Edit: I also got some shells for my hermits to grow into and 2 peppermint shrimp. :)

Looks good. You may want to step up your filtration to a protein skimmer at some point. I started out with a penguin hob filter like that too, and it really is nothing but trouble. They're made for freshwater tanks, and really can't do the job well enough for a reef tank, even a small one.

Looks good. You may want to step up your filtration to a protein skimmer at some point. I started out with a penguin hob filter like that too, and it really is nothing but trouble. They're made for freshwater tanks, and really can't do the job well enough for a reef tank, even a small one.

Okay. Awesome. I will.

I hit the jackpot! A very nice friend of a friend have me some live rock(almost 50 lbs! I'm about to get to start cycling my 55!!!!) an emerald crab, a serpent starfish, a hammer coral(meaning I need to upgrade my lights sooner rather than later,) some gsp, he's also going to bring me a tang and a mandarin to give to my brother for his much larger tank. I'm ecstatic!

img_2274027_0_7e45e97fed77d166f94f5058a4e9d160.jpg

img_2274027_1_e9bfd9e0f4df27f92729ee7591fd9d25.jpg

That's awesome. PS Hydor koralias are my favorite for the price.
Only other pumps I would use are vortechs which are big $$$

Wow that was generous of him! Would love to see pics of the 55 when you have it set up. You don't need a skimmer on a 10 gallon. With such low stock, there's really no point if you just keep doing frequent water changes. Most of the nano skimmers are junk anyway...Surprisingly hydor nano skimmers have gotten great reviews. BUT, if it were me, I'd invest into a great skimmer for the 55 or use the money to buy coral :D. The GSP needs higher lighting as well.

That's awesome. PS Hydor koralias are my favorite for the price.
Only other pumps I would use are vortechs which are big $$$

I will remember that. :) thank you!

Wow that was generous of him! Would love to see pics of the 55 when you have it set up. You don't need a skimmer on a 10 gallon. With such low stock, there's really no point if you just keep doing frequent water changes. Most of the nano skimmers are junk anyway...Surprisingly hydor nano skimmers have gotten great reviews. BUT, if it were me, I'd invest into a great skimmer for the 55 or use the money to buy coral :D. The GSP needs higher lighting as well.

Yes it was! He's still bring me a scopus tang and a dragonette mandarin for my brother. I basically can't believe it! I feel like I won the lottery. The live rock was my next really expensive investment, so hopefully I'll have the cycle started in the next couple of days! :) I'll post a picture of it.

Well now you can invest in a good skimmer and light for the 55 (if you're going reef for that one). :)

Well now you can invest in a good skimmer and light for the 55 (if you're going reef for that one). :)

Yes yes yes. :) I'm so excited. It will most certainly be a reef tank. I already invested in 1 set of lights and I want to add on 2 more fixtures like the one I've bought. I'm really proud of them. Lol. I've started a thread for that tank, too. :)

Yes yes yes. :) I'm so excited. It will most certainly be a reef tank. I already invested in 1 set of lights and I want to add on 2 more fixtures like the one I've bought. I'm really proud of them. Lol. I've started a thread for that tank, too. :)

What lights did u get?
Lookin good btw!!

What lights did u get?
Lookin good btw!!

Thank you!! I havent changed the lights on my nano yet. But I got 2 HO T5s for my 55. I plan on eventually adding 4 more of them so I can keep any corals. :)

The hammer coral seems happy.

img_2274465_0_d6e4a2ee1c7fbe18cc3f0a6f47413b83.jpg

Thank you!! I havent changed the lights on my nano yet. But I got 2 HO T5s for my 55. I plan on eventually adding 4 more of them so I can keep any corals. :)

The hammer coral seems happy.

Before u buy more look at a 48" light. U can get some cheaper than buying smaller ones. U might luck out and find a used halide fixture. Look at aqua traders . Com. U get cheap lights for starting out.

Before u buy more look at a 48" light. U can get some cheaper than buying smaller ones. U might luck out and find a used halide fixture. Look at aqua traders . Com. U get cheap lights for starting out.

I already bought 48" lights. Lol. I'm going to add on, though. My favorite part about those lights. Here is a picture of what I have. :)

img_2274867_0_50e6a2a600cf19aa85d34a2a200693e5.jpg

Edit: they were $150 with the bulbs. I thought that was an ok price?

Well guys, my strip light on my nano went out today. I don't have a lot of money for new lights, but I am adding an extra light. I've had my wheels turning on how to do that. :) I'll post a picture when I'm done!

Back
Top Bottom