first salt tank, 2 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i love saltwater tanks, not really the fish much but just the look of live rock with that "mystic" glow from the light , i think that just looks completely awesome so i was thinking about setting up a 2 gallon tank with this:
Top Fin&reg Aqua Scene Desktop Aquariums - Sale - Fish - PetSmart
(i already have the tank with a betta willing to move ;) )
with this light:
Zoo Med Reef Sun 50/50 Compact Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

if i got this i would want to do a sand substrate (obviously loll)
and about 3 pounds of live rock (depending on size)
and putting a HOB filter on back (one comparable to an aquaclear 20)

stocking i was just thinking of maybe some mushrooms and inverts?

so what do you guys think? any suggestions? how much do you think it will all cost me?

thanks
~joma

sounds good but i promise once you enter saltwater you will quickly want to upgrade. try some sexy shrimp or pom pom crabs both are cool

sounds good but i promise once you enter saltwater you will quickly want to upgrade. try some sexy shrimp or pom pom crabs both are cool

so you think my set up plan should be good? you cant find any flaws? loll i was expecting to be pounded because i am new to all this.

also, what would i put into the HOB filter, just normal filter media?

well if that light will have a reflector, then you could do mushrooms and maybe some other softies

also for a tank that size inverts is the only thing you could do.

EDIT: as for media, purigen, chemipure, LR rubble. your choice!

well if that light will have a reflector, then you could do mushrooms and maybe some other softies

also for a tank that size inverts is the only thing you could do.

what do you mean by "reflector" (sorry, new to saltwater) and inverts are what i wanted to do so what kinds do you think are cool and will work?

reflector is a piece of foil or mylar ballon inside your light ficture, behind the bulb so all the light is reflected into the tank. the inverts i mentioned are good. maybe 2 cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp and the standard hermits(there are some cool looking ones like the electric blues)

Sexy shrimp are awesome. Have you seen them? Look them up on youtube if you haven't, they're very entertaining.

I'm in the same boat btw, my jump into saltwater is going to be a 6 gal, so I'd like to see how yours turns out! :)

I would really recommend doing something a little bigger tank to start with (around 30's and if not that, at least a 10 gallon). It will be easier to maintain for a beginner.

but if you can manage to start one up, I would love to see it :D

Sexy shrimp are awesome. Have you seen them? Look them up on youtube if you haven't, they're very entertaining.

I'm in the same boat btw, my jump into saltwater is going to be a 6 gal, so I'd like to see how yours turns out! :)

did you start your tank yet?

No, but Ive started my research from the beginning of January and Im ready to have one! :) Once I get a little older and have enough money to spend on it, I hope to have it up and runnin! :D

I would really recommend doing something a little bigger tank to start with (around 30's and if not that, at least a 10 gallon). It will be easier to maintain for a beginner.

but if you can manage to start one up, I would love to see it :D

i wanna do something bigger but my parents. :(

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I planned on getting a 29 gallon bio-cube for my birthday (march 1st), but my mom said that it would cost some money (around $200+) and asked if it was really worth it (I said kinda, but no). Besides, I dont think I need another tank, I have 3 as of now....

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I planned on getting a 29 gallon bio-cube for my birthday (march 1st), but my mom said that it would cost some money (around $200+) and asked if it was really worth it (I said kinda, but no). Besides, I dont think I need another tank, I have 3 as of now....

i also have three but they are all kinda small ;)

I have 2 10 gallons and 1 30 gallon (all in my room, its pretty cramped.)

i have 2 20longs, one being a betta tank, the other has a gerbil. i have a 10 gallon frog tank and a 2 gallon tank that will soon be a saltwater tank loll all in my room tooo

did you start your tank yet?

Nope. I was originally going to make it freshwater, because in all honesty I prefer it, but saltwater seemed like a better fit (my expectations, money, options, etc.). I would have started it, but I'm moving in a little over 3 months, so I thought it'd be better to avoid the hassle and just wait.

Nope. I was originally going to make it freshwater, because in all honesty I prefer it, but saltwater seemed like a better fit (my expectations, money, options, etc.). I would have started it, but I'm moving in a little over 3 months, so I thought it'd be better to avoid the hassle and just wait.

true, by the time you had it stable you'd have to move. that would suck loll

Back
Top Bottom