First saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I'll ask next time I'm there. And okay I like the porous rocks look better too and so that's no problem. And they go by pound so I try to look for te lightest ones I like the best.

Another thing about the rock is to try to get smaller pieces. They are a lot easier to stack than bigger ones. You can always go the hammer and screwdriver route to and break em up.

TigerBarbs said:
Another thing about the rock is to try to get smaller pieces. They are a lot easier to stack than bigger ones. You can always go the hammer and screwdriver route to and break em up.

Good point. If you order from BRS you can request shapes too

I'll have to check BFS out. I haven't really checked out online stores for rock.

Awesome I'm 18 so money's pretty tight for me too when it comes to my tanks how much have you spent so far? I've always wanted to do a reef tank but I'm still adding to my live plant tank

Fishandmusic81 said:
Awesome I'm 18 so money's pretty tight for me too when it comes to my tanks how much have you spent so far? I've always wanted to do a reef tank but I'm still adding to my live plant tank

Be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars per tank

Haha well let's see. I had my 20 gallon already and the heater and the little 20 gallon filter ( going to upgrade soon) already so with all the new things I've bought there's $80 of live rock ( still need more), water test kit $21, power head $25, sand $30, water $20. So far that comes to about $180. Still I need to buy the light I want which is $100 ( waiting for my cycle) and more rock which ranges in prices from store to store. So it's expensive which I knew and that's why I got a job, so I could do it myself and not have to ask my parents for money anymore haha.

Might be expensive but IMO sooo worth it!

Loukas42 said:
Haha well let's see. I had my 20 gallon already and the heater and the little 20 gallon filter ( going to upgrade soon) already so with all the new things I've bought there's $80 of live rock ( still need more), water test kit $21, power head $25, sand $30, water $20. So far that comes to about $180. Still I need to buy the light I want which is $100 ( waiting for my cycle) and more rock which ranges in prices from store to store. So it's expensive which I knew and that's why I got a job, so I could do it myself and not have to ask my parents for money anymore haha.

Might be expensive but IMO sooo worth it!

And then there's water and salt and fish and cuc

Yeah well I actually just bought saltwater at my lfs but true. Your CUC and saltwater fish are way more expensive than freshwater fish.

I'd be a little careful about pre-mixed sw from your lfs. I filled my tank with pre-mixed and the specific gravity was above 1.036!! A nice water change got it down. Maybe it was just a coincidence but test it first to be safe. ;)

TigerBarbs said:
I'd be a little careful about pre-mixed sw from your lfs. I filled my tank with pre-mixed and the specific gravity was above 1.036!! A nice water change got it down. Maybe it was just a coincidence but test it first to be safe. ;)

I just measure salinity when I add it and add top off water to level it out. My LFS sells it's $1 per gal its cheaper than mixing my own (only 10g)

Thinking about making a stand for it Because i don't like the one it's on. And I want to prove to my dad I can make a stand that looks good. :)

Ouch that is a lot lol my dad already thinks I spend too much on my 3 tanks and I work for his company so he'd know where the money would be going to lol guess I'll just keep doing research till I can find another job

Well yeah an maintaining a nano reef is way harder than a larger reef tank.

More room for error to mess up water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom