First saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I've been reading on this forum for a couple of months and man has it been helpful. I've learned so much about saltwater, being as this is my first saltwater tank ever. I've got a 75 gallon freshwater and decided to turn my 20 gallon into a saltwater tank. With this forum I've been able to finalize my decision. I currently have my tank running with the saltwater, live sand, and live rock all purchased from my lfs. I just wanted to post on here because I don't know everything and I figured if you've helped so many people You guys could help me. I'm also going to be constantly updating this thread, taking you guys Along the ride with me. I'm excited! Here we go!

Attachments

• image-1968487277.jpg
    image-1968487277.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 115
Welcome to the forum!

Good luck and feel free to ask away, there's some great people on this site who will be sure to help. :)

Thanks! I'm excited. Quick question, for a 20 gallon, what filter do you recommend? Just a hang on the back filter or should i I sump?

sump is always better. more water volume allows for more "wiggle room" (which is needed as a beginner, i know i did). also minimizes the amount of equipment in your display tank which makes for nicer appearance. Noise is also always a big concern for most, with a sump your filter, skimmer, etc. All of that under the display tank in a cabinet will keep things more quiet.

Thats not to say you cant do it with a simple, non-sump setup. I started with a 20 gal with only hob filter, not even a skimmer. Worked great as long as i kept up with my water changes.

get ready.. this hobby is very addictive, not to mention expensive:D

Good luck to you and enjoy the learning curve.

Yeah I looked into getting a sump forever, but I didn't really see why for a small tank. Still thinking about it for my 75. I'm going to get a skimmer for the 20 though. And yeah, money is a killer, I'm only 17 and that's where I get stuck sometimes. Everything I've ever bought I've used my own money on. Its crazy but definitely worth the outcome. Thanks for the advice!

Picked up 6 or so more pounds of live rock , up to a total of 13.5. Thinking I might have I more my heater, maybe a sump?

Attachments

• image-2593056872.jpg
    image-2593056872.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 113
Tanks been sitting for a couple days now. Ordered my power head and water test kit. I was gonna buy one when I set my tank up but at the lfs, it was $45. I bought it online for $ 21!! Such a difference.

Do you want a reef tank? If so get more rock! And I don't think you need a sump. Try an aqua clear 55 filter it filters 200gph. You wont need more as your live rock is most of the fitration. An get a power head if you haven't already

Yeah I ordered a power head it shoul be coming in 7 or so days, hopefully sooner and more rock you say? Should the total be about 20 lbs?

Just make it look natural with a good amount of live rock. Make caves and shelves for inhabitants to hide. I never like putting numbers on thigs like that. But people say 1 lb/ gallon. Look at pictures of tanks to get ideas.

Keep posting pics for updates (y)

Yea I mean depends what look you want. If you're going reef you'll want atleast 15lbs I have 12lbs in my 10g and there's still plenty of space for my gobies. With this set up you don't need much filtration (once all the rock is live) I'm using my filter more as a powerhead at this point. It's better to add too much rock because when you add live stock you can always remove rock if you don't like it. And you dont need anymore live rock I'd get dry/base rock it's cheaper

Okay cool. I'll go ahead and look at getting some more base rock. Any suggestions on where to shop. My lfs has only live rock.

It's as updated on that picture as it is in real life. I ordered a power head and that's on the way. Looking into get more base rock. I'll update when I have changes.

Thanks for all the input though. Definitely can't do this by myself.

I find it hard to believe your LFS has. No base rock. They might just be holding out on you cuz your new to the hobbie. You should really asks again. But the other suggestions were good if you can't did any locally

You really need to find a lfs that you can trust and that so knows their stuff. This website is great for help but there's othing like face to face contact..

Yeah well my lfs is really cool and this one guy who u like to see who works there specializes in nano tanks so it's perfect!

But I've only seen Rock that's in a big tub of water and it says live rock and the prices and there's no were in the place say anything about Base rock so I'll have to ask and maybe they have it in the back or something.

Thanks guys!

Try to pick rock that is very porous and light when you pick it up. the heavier, denser rocks don't filter as good as the lighter rocks do.

Back
Top Bottom