First SW Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I've been making some posts around the site in regards to a larger SW tank. Seeing as how it will be a while before I get it up and running (years to come, after I move out of the parent's house) I'm going to turn my previously-FW tank into a nano SW. I was thinking of doing some LR, 2 clowns, and an anemone. What are you opinions on this?

I have been doing plenty of research and asking questions around here. I know the equipment I need and such. Another question is, since I'm no getting a skimemr for a 10 gal, what size filter would work? I currently have a Aqueon 20 filter (I believe it's a 20) that I bought to upgrade from the horrible filter that came with the tank. Is this filter good enough? Otherwise I have a (rather large) filter (3 of them) that came with the 55g I bought off of craigslist (the soon-to-be SW ).

Thanks for any help guys. I love all the advice I get while browsing around. =)

I think two clowns in a 10g might be pushing it a tad. The nem shouldnt be added until your tank matures at least 6-9 months. Plus you'll need some really good lights to have a nem.

:)

There are many many gobies and other fish that would work in there as well as shrimp. You could also get just one clown for it he'll be fine.

Aww, I was hoping to get 2 clowns :rolleyes: Oh well. I think gobies are pretty cool too. I'll have to look into those.

I know anemones need a matured tank, just planning (way) ahead. :)

Also, what kind of lighting should I ne looking for? I half a half moon aquarium (if that's the correct term, that's what I've heard it being called). I can't think of any lights that would fit on there, since the only flat side is the back.... and I'm too lazy to make a custom canopy on top of custom stuff for my larger tank.... :(

edit: If I were to get a gobie, what substrate would be best for it? For my larger tank I was going to use aragonite sand, but if I remember correctly, they need some larger substrate then aragonite.

If you don't do corals I think you can get away with whatever stock lighting you have.

Currently I have some nice (IMO) LED lighting, even if it isn't very bright. It brings out the colors in the fish, and I love it. My tank is in my bedroom, and a window can shine directly on it, however, I angle it down into the room so that theres still some light, but not directly on the tank. I've learned from algea problems... (I used to have a planted tank and thought that direct sunlight was best) :nono:

I'll have to research corals more, as I have always been wanting some. I think I may leave it for my larger tank, and just get down the SW as a whole before I get too much into it...

Aragonite sand is fine for any goby, you can always add some little shells or something if you like since some of the gobys like to build a barrier around their home, you'd have to research which goby you want and find out which ones do this. The filter you have will be fine but don't forget to do your weekly water changes. I recommend the weekly since it's a smaller tank.

Of course weekly water changes :) I started weekly PWC with FW, but quickly went to every other week because not only did the water stay stable, but I had a low bioload. Also, I'm worried about one thing. My tap water has a low ph, which is why my tank crashed last. The pH got down to around 6.0, and I believe the bacteria can't survive in the low of a pH (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, my water would have sudden changes in pH daily. Since then I've bought an RODI unit for my SW tanks. Will this help with the pH issues? If not, what can I do to improve this? (Should I post this in its own thread? Sorry to get off topic).

Also, I will be looking into gobies very much. =) Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Also, now that I look at gobies, it reminds me of the jawfish. Perhaps that is what I am thinking of more then the gobies. Anyways, could a jawfish work? They just look so cool to me... Quite amusing if you ask me. =D I'll do some research on both of these fish.

rodi unit is perfect! The salt you add and your water changes should keep the ph at the correct levels. Make sure to purchase a good liquid API test kit.

Jawfish are great, they are jumpers though so if you get one make sure you have a nicely sealed lid, they seem to find even the smallest of holes from what i hear. I was actually looking into getting one, the pearly one is cheaper and would probably look great under your led lighting since you say it brings out the colors of the fish. The blue spotted one is nice too but pretty expensive. Jawfish also do the building around their burrows so some smaller rocks and shells would be good, the fine sand is still fine for substrate though.

Alright, sweet. I'll have to figure out the lid because mine has quite a few holes for equip and it is just acrylic set on top... I'll have to figure that one out. Maybe some screening underneath that can be clipped onto the side? I'll have to think about it.

I'll look around over the next few days to figure out what I want to do. I'll probably get the RODI unit running tomorrow and will find some time to get salt, probably this weekend. I want to get this going, I'm so excited. :)

Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to post around some more. Also, I'm debating... Build thread? :)

Might I recommend some Sarcothelia Edmondsoni as a first coral? ;). I had them a few years ago as my first coral on a piece of live rock. Didn't notice them for a while, but they survived the cycle and hair algae and have since spread like mad.

Just put them on a rock away from everything else so they don't cover your tank. If you do go with corals you will need at minimum a good 2 watts per gallon, preferably more and in the 10000k+ range (though 6700k is tolerable).

I would personally go with a shrimp and partner goby. Pretty much the coolest things you can fit happily in a 10 gallon.

Yea, I saw the stuff about gobies and shrimp. I think it's pretty cool.

I'll look into that coral too. I'll have to figure out whether or not I'm doing corals or just a FOWLR. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom