First time nano reef newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to give you a big welcome to the hobby. Just remember this, patience means time, but with time will come success in your tank. You will have problems and there will be times where your tank is just outright amazing, but you MUST put in the effort.

Both 10g_Nano and Dave are great success stories of what you can accomplish in this hobby, in small tanks in small time.
I remember when both of them joined, both as clueless as the next, but the one thing that led them to success is that they were willing to learn.

Now, for your questions.
You will need a powerhead. I would recommend 2- Koralia 240's for Softies and LPS and just really good outright flow. Or 1- 240 and 1- 420 For SPS too.
As stated, stock light will not support any corals unfortunately. A par38 bulb is usually your best bet when it come to 10g tanks. One from: Reef Koi, Coral Compulsion, or Rapid LED will all do good.
In a 10g you are generally limited to 2 fish in the tank. Though it varies, as say the Bioload of 2 Neon Gobies, is none compared to that of a shrimp goby and a possum wrasse. There are also plenty of shrimp you can keep in the tank, so I wouldn't worry about that. Check out liveaquaria.com for fish stocking suggestions.
Live rock, Dry Rock, Macro Rock, whatever is fine. You'll want just around 10lbs. However I keep 20 in my 10g, just for more biological filtration.
Here is a link to a Sand Bed Calculator so you can figure out how much sand you will need for the depth you are looking for. Again, live or dry sand does not make a difference.
Corals really aren't as hard as they seem. So starting off with them, would be good. As long as you keep up with your water changes, you should be okay.
Your filter is perfectly fine, don't worry about that.
Generally skimmers aren't needed on small tanks like this.
Again welcome to the salt side of things, and ask away.

Another +1 to everything stated here. Thanks for the compliments macscale!

Ok. And should I add a source of ammonia or no since I have live everything?

I also had live everything. I used a pantyhose bag with a shrimp in it. You can see it way back on my thread "10 gallon nano reef coming together"

Good thing is my tank is cycling good. Bad thing I think my salinity is over. Its at 1.027 using a refractometer. Is this normal? Whats the range? Will it support life?

Good thing is my tank is cycling good. Bad thing I think my salinity is over. Its at 1.027 using a refractometer. Is this normal? Whats the range? Will it support life?

Just take out some salt water and put in RO until you can get it down. .027 isn't Terrible

10 gallon nano reef

I have talked to others who keep theirs between 1.025 - 1.027 with no issues. Personally I keep mine at 1.025, but that is because I am too paranoid to go higher lol.

+1 10gal_nano said, just add ro/di water a little at a time to get it down to the level you desire.

Mine has gotten to the 1.027 mark before due to not topping off on my regular schedule. Everyone done fine and no issues.

Yeah but its a start til I can afford a rodi right? Im in the military and due to renting I cant really alter water lines. Any suggestions?

There's a cheap one on eBay. Solid white, colorful tubes, runs about 50-70$ t most. As good reviews, I belive it's called little fishes but i not sure.

Yeah but its a start til I can afford a rodi right? Im in the military and due to renting I cant really alter water lines. Any suggestions?

You don't have to alter your water line to add an RO/DI unit. You can just get a faucet attachment and put it in there, run the waste water line down the drain, and the good into a bucket.

Awesome I'll have to look into them. Any suggestions if on a budget?

How much did your ammonia get up too? I noticed you only used live rock. Is everything 0 except nitrate? It doesn't seem long enough for it to be done.

Back
Top Bottom