First time saltwater tank on a budget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's my first time going saltwater. I have had success in fresh but am looking for a more advanced aquarium. I'm thinking about doing a nano tank. I would like some guidance on size and equipment. I understand the difficulty of nano tanks but money is a major factor. Any feedback will be appreciated!

We're you looking to do a reef or just fowlr? And what size? And do you have a dedicated marine lfs near you that can sell you ro/di water?

Thanks for the response I would like to do a reef nothing advanced maybe some mushrooms don't want to get in over my head. And yes there is a great lfs right down the road from me. And I'm not sure what size I know the smaller size the more limited I am. I was thinking 10 gallon but didn't know if I would need a protein skimmer with that

You don't need a skimmer for that. You can just mod an aqua clear filter for a 10 gallon.

Ya you don't need a skimmer what I would get is (actually have just set this up 3 months ago)
Ac 70 hob filter $60
Korilia nano 240 (I use 2 but not necessary for softies) $25
75w heater $20
8-12 lbs of of rock (live or base) $50 ish and $30 ish respectively
10-20 lbs of sand $20
And now we have lighting, to many options to list but I'm pretty sure reefkoi.com still has there par38 bulbs on sale for $60, that's what I'm using and I like it. You will be able to keep softies and pretty much any lps with it

Yes, par38 bulbs are the best for a nano on a budget. However, if you want to spend more, which you probably don't, there is nano box reef which makes amazing nano led lights.

There are also mods for the aquaclear filter at intank media basket.

What I did, although I can't keep any lps corals is just used my top that came with my 10 gallon setup from Walmart, spray painted the inside white and got 2-20 watt 50/50 screw in lights. There is a great series on you tube called nano lagoon that's pretty much a step by step setup for a budget nano reef. Although I did add a nano modulus 240 and just went with a aquaclear 30 not modded at all. My tank is 8 months old and thriving! If you can go bigger try, I'm in the middle of converting a 20 gallon long because you run out of room fast and you always want more! Best piece of advice is take your time and go slow!

Attachments

• 1392087191051.jpg
    1392087191051.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1392087202718.jpg
    1392087202718.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1392087223940.jpg
    1392087223940.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 1392087236641.jpg
    1392087236641.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 110
Modulus is supposed to be korilia haha

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all so much for your input it's much appreciated. I love the hobby and want to get into it but on a college students salary it proves difficult

One more question which would be better\more beneficial pre made salt water from my LFS or mix my own?

Do what you want with the water I buy mine pre made because I don't have the time to mix my own plus it's more money haha I had an 8 gal nano the biggest thing you will have to check is salinity don't skimp on your test kits buy a refractometer best thing I ever done this is my old tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392125070.575311.jpg

I prefer to mix my own water so I can keep my elements stable( the same salt batch will mix at the same trace element levels for the life of the salt) as opposed to lfs using what ever salt they get cheapest and having different levels possibly with each wc. I think instant ocean reef crystals are like $40 for enough salt to last a year on a 10 gal

Also I know this is a tough topic amongst aquarists but would a small clown fish be able to be in the 10 gallon? I just want something vibrant and colorful really

I have 2 in my ten but then again that's why I'm upgrading to a bigger tank because they are very active little guys and swim all over the tank. Everyone on here will put their 2 cents in and you'll feel like you've gotten a death threat because you have the wrong fish in your tank haha. If I were to do it again I'd stick with the one clown and maybe a watchmen goby shrimp pair in a ten

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't but a lot of people do so if you decide to stick to one and if you add another fish (I wouldn't ) make sure it's a very small bio load fish

Yes, only one clownfish and some other small fish like a clown goby.

Thank you guys again for all of the help ill post pictures of my progress! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom