Fish for my 7.5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I am having a whirl of a time trying to find a good fish for my nano 7.5g (12in cube).

Any ideas? Gobys seem to just, die...
A blenny maybe?
Should be reef and invert safe...
Thanks

Matt

Dogface puffer.

o/k... Small gobies (YW, yasha, tangipoa, etc.) would be my recommendation. What do you mean by they just die?

Dogface puffer.

o/k... Small gobies (YW, yasha, tangipoa, etc.) would be my recommendation. What do you mean by they just die?

Ive tried 4 gobys over the last year and all died. A few others here also suggest that they just dont make it unless aquacultured, but I cannot find a single aquacultured goby. :-(

Any other fish that might do alright?

Thanks,
Matt

Most gobies have a life span of 6months to 2 years. A few live up to 5. They aren't long lived species.

Haha, I was actually considering a damsel since they are pretty and since I only want one fish in this tank.

Maybe I will go with a damsel. Do they all do okay in nanos?

matt

What about a True Percula? A damsel would be fine if you can find a smaller species. I'd recommend 1 fish, 2 at most.

There are some really cool damsels out there. Orange lined cardinals are pretty cool looking as well. I'm sure a panther grouper would be alright too :uhoh:

Ive already got Clowns in my 20g...Bored with them. ;-)

Anyone know any Damsels that stay small? A 4in fish would look silly swimming in my 7.5g tank. :-D

I will either look into some more exotic damsels or keep trying gobys till one lives. :rolleyes:

Keeps the ideas coming! No rush, as my 7.5g is still cycling. (Waiting for 7lbs of fiji rock to show up to add to my current 7lbs of dry rock and some cycled (from my 20g) rock. I probably will replace some of the dry rock with the live rock coming since its running out of space as is!

Thanks!
Matt

+1 HN1
If you can find a set already paired up and eating they should be fine. So awesome to watch too.

I may keep trying the watchman gobys, but this time from saltwaterfish.com. My LFS doesnt have any expect for some way overpriced shrimp gobys. (Twice the online prices, and already had a neon goby from them die a week later).

I actually have a pistol shrimp that, cough, hitchhiked into my bucket from the beach. ;) Dont know how he got in there, but I figured I better acclimate him and add him to the pico 2.5g while I wait out the 7.5g cycle.;)

He has rearanged the whole place! Has made a huge sand mountain and pushed live rocks and such altogether to make a little fortress. I havent seen him since adding him, just see his "work". The sexy shrimp seem curious, but he stays out of sight. Good think the contents of this pico are all going into the 7.5g once cycled otherwise it would be a pain to get him out!

No idea what kind he is. Hes bluish grey and climed into my bucket near some rocks in the gulf of mexico. :D

Thats my story, and Im sticking to it. :cool: I add some frozen mysis shrimp for him every few days. I guess hes eating it since my sexy shrimp are still alive.:)

Matt

Ive allways loved watchman gobies I have allways kept them in my tanks. I have also allways kept bicolor blennies but just recently I met a tail spot blenny that caught my eye. I had never seen them in person just in pics, but I can tell you now that the tail spot is way cooler than the bicolor. I orderd one the day I saw it in a ladys tank that I had bought some corals from. These guys change colors depending on what they are peched on and that is super cool, not to mention the lines under its eyes that make it look like an aztec warrior! I call mine Indio! LOL

Tailspot blenny it is! I saw some at my LFS and MAN are they neat to look at! Very active and funny looking! My LFS has them for $19.00. They said my 7.5g is small but the fish may adjust to it since it has plenty of rocks.

Now I just need to wait for the new tank to cycle with the fiji rock I just got. Nitrites are off the charts! YIKES! Good thing its just live rock and some random hitchhiking critters.

Matt

neon blue gobies are great as well, i just got one and he is fun to watch, small, but active and quite docile. the only thing ive seen him to besides scoot about is try to clean my oscellaris, which bob saget did not approve of lol

Ive tried 4 gobys over the last year and all died. A few others here also suggest that they just dont make it unless aquacultured, but I cannot find a single aquacultured goby. :-(

Any other fish that might do alright?

Thanks,
Matt
i tried another one in my 2.5. five mins after being in the tank it died.. and i have better water then the pet store.. i mean i tested it a hour before i bought it lol. (i work at where i bought it lol)

Back
Top Bottom