Fish issues - Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJsChaos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a Mandarin Dragonet for my tank. All the sudden my 6 line wrasse has been pecking at it. Is this normal? I told the person at the fish store what I had in the tank and he said there wouldn't be an issue. Suggestions? I'm stressed right out.

Six lines can be buttheads. What size tank is it? That wrasse will also outcompete the mandarin for pods, so I hope you saw it eat frozen at the store.

What is the minimum size tank a Mandarin should be in? They are stunning fish.

It is more about their dietary needs than tank space as they don't get huge. I'd say in order to support their diet at least a 75-100 gallon tank with a lot of live rock. The tank should also be running at least a year with no competitors to let the pod population grow

It is more about their dietary needs than tank space as they don't get huge. I'd say in order to support their diet at least a 75-100 gallon tank with a lot of live rock. The tank should also be running at least a year with no competitors to let the pod population grow

I was told they need blood worms and that's it. I've done more research and I know exactly what you are talk about now. Bribo, BigReds, and Macscale, thank you for taking the time as usual. You make this hobby so much better and help us make educated decisions.

Noooo, they're a very difficult fish as they only eat copepods. Some can be trained to prepared foods but it is uncommon.
Edit: no problem, I hate when lfs give out crap info. I'm sorry :(

Yeah.. I don't even listen to my LFS. They start talking and i just nod my head and agree even though they are so wrong.
Even when trained to eat prepared foods, sometimes they'll go back to eating pods only for no reason.
As for what would compliment the Clown and Wrasse nicely. A goby or blenny of some time.

I find wrase can be 50/50 on how they get along with their tank mates. And try and get the mandarin to eat frozen food because it will go through pods very quick, so you may need to supplement them they eat 24/7

I'm bringing the Mandarin back to the store. I love the Mandarin, but I refuse to watch it die for no reason. I'm thinking about trying a pistol shrimp/goby combo. What do you guys think? What is a goby's main diet?

I think the goby/pistol combo would do great. Gobies will eat any type of foods; frozen, dry, etc...

The Mandarin made it safely back to the store. I feel so much better. How many of you have a quarantine tank in case this happens? What fish will do well with a butthead (well put Bribo) Wrasse?

Back
Top Bottom