fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JustinKBreen said:
Check for any die off that can cause an ammonia spike

Thx. I learned the hard way by finding a great deal online too. Was stoked till I found out that my cycle almost started over.

Something else I just recently learned about is dead rock. You can mix it in with your live and it is much cheaper. It won't cause any spikes and will eventually become live after time. Check into it if you can...

Jmkb02 said:
Something else I just recently learned about is dead rock. You can mix it in with your live and it is much cheaper. It won't cause any spikes and will eventually become live after time. Check into it if you can...

No one around here sells base rock. But I have seen TUFA rock. Is it saltwater safe?

That's a good question I've heard of it but never seen it, anyone else care to chime in??

I have a light question. If I am using a 60W clear reveal lightbulb in my table lamp, would I be able to have mushrooms and gsp? Or should I wait until I get a better light?

carey said:
I don't think either of those lights will keep much as far as corals. When I had my pico up I was using a par38 bulb like this

Amazon.com: Dimmable High Power Par38 White + Blue LED Aquarium Reef Corals Grow Light Bulb, 1325w+b: Patio, Lawn & Garden

You definitely need a better light. With a 5 gallon tank, you really can't do too much more than coral. Maybe one at most two fish and the rest of your bio load is gonna be coral. You really need something along the lines of what carey recommend at minimum.

Jmkb02 said:
You definitely need a better light. With a 5 gallon tank, you really can't do too much more than coral. Maybe one at most two fish and the rest of your bio load is gonna be coral. You really need something along the lines of what carey recommend at minimum.

I want that light she mentioned. I was just curious if I could get away with the light I have for a little while until I get that one. I don't want to spend money on a little coral for it to just die. Looks like I'll be getting a clown goby or something small like that then until I can buy that light. Then I'll get a coral...maybe a pulsing Xenia? I think that is what it's called. It looks like alien fingers. Or the shrooms or gsp... I'll decide that later on. Thank you for confirming that my puny light just won't do! :)

Trust me bro, I know that 65-75 bucks seems like a lot for a light, but these bulbs last 10 times longer than any flouresent. You will be able to grow most anything and will get great results from them. I did away with my DIY led kit I put together and now I only have this bulb. I spent 45 on a DIY and then found out about these bulbs. They are everything and more that they say they are and they are dimmable. A huge plus! You will save so much money to just do it right first. Even if you have to wait a few more weeks, it will be more than worth it.

Hi again!
I've ran into all the same questions when setting up my 12 g hex nano. I may be able to shed some light here (and anyone feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

For a 5 g tank, there aren't really any fish suitable. 1 clown goby could work, but even then it's pushing it. Any other goby will be too large. Shrimp will be problematic as well, as most marine shrimp grow considerably larger than freshwater. Look into sexy anemone shrimp, or something that stays the same size as them (there isn't much).

You can definitely do mushrooms/zoas... zoas preferably, and there are some other options you can look into in the way of corals. For a 5 g saltwater setup, you're basically limited to a reef; live rock with some small coral and a couple tiny shrimp.

mine, for example, only has a crab, snail, sexy shrimp, and a 2-spot goby.

For the lighting, no. Nothing at home depot or CFL or any of that will suffice. I bought this light:
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamps

It's $109, I know, but this was the best one I could find for a nano. All the PC or CFL stuff you could fit into stock ballasts just won't do for corals. Besides, it's a 1 time purchase and it'll look a million times better, I promise.
They're on sale now, with free shipping. I lucked out and had a $20 off certificate from the local aquarium society, so I got it for $89
That par38 will open you up to pretty much any coral you can fit in a 5 g :D

Also, for cycling I just threw a piece of shrimp in there (raw from grocery store) with the live rock and let it rot. I also dosed 2 drops of pure ammonia per day for about 4-5 days.
Keep in mind that if you have a freshwater test kit, they don't work well testing ammonia for saltwater.
You can buy just the saltwater ammonia test liquid @ petco for like $9

If I got base rock and saltwater could I put it in my tank and let it run without anything living in it? Then it wouldn't be sitting there all empty. Also- my tank has no cover. If I were to cycle my tank and put in a little shrimp or something would it jump out?

Yeah you can set everything all up without anything living in it. I would take advantage of that time and cycle it though!

Don't cycle with a live shrimp though lol. I guess you could, but it would end up a dead shrimp to complete your cycle. So just buy a dead frozen shrimp and save a life, lol.

scottayy said:
Yeah you can set everything all up without anything living in it. I would take advantage of that time and cycle it though!

Don't cycle with a live shrimp though lol. I guess you could, but it would end up a dead shrimp to complete your cycle. So just buy a dead frozen shrimp and save a life, lol.

I wasn't going to cycle with a live one! That would be awful. And a waste of money. I just wanted to know if a shrimp would jump out after it was cycled and I added a shrimp. Otherwise I'm going to have to figure out a lid for my tank.

Oh, I'm not sure. I doubt it though. You can make a lid out of window screen. :-D

scottayy said:
Oh, I'm not sure. I doubt it though. You can make a lid out of window screen. :-D

You have way too many good ideas. What would I use as a frame for it? It's gonna be small... It's a fluval chi. I dont know the dimensions. And any ideas how I might remove this? It was where the fluval filter slid into place. I don't need it anymore.

Wood trim maybe. Or maybe just tape it on till you learn if it's a jumper. Is that attached on to the side?

Wow i have always wanted a fluval chi!! Especially planted! But, alas, i kill all plants hahah!

Goodluck i will be following!:D

Back
Top Bottom