Fluval edge 46l marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 3 weeks into my cycle,what should I be seeing in my tank????,also any1 with a fluval edge 46l could you guide me on a light fixture good enough to keep most corals for my tank.

Abno10 said:
I'm 3 weeks into my cycle,what should I be seeing in my tank????,also any1 with a fluval edge 46l could you guide me on a light fixture good enough to keep most corals for my tank.

Do you mean what should you see on the test results?

Also what should I put in my filter,at the moment I just have the stock,carbon ceramic rings,sponge,the carbon has to come out what should I replace it with????

The filter is probably fine.

What are your testing results?

Do you have live rock?

If the cycle is over you'll probably see diatoms. Little light brown stuff on the sand and glass that wipes off very easy. Have you added a source of ammonia? The only way the tank will cycle is if you have a source of ammonia. Either by adding raw shrimp, pure ammonia, or a fish. Raw shrimp is the easiest way to go. Knowing your test results will help, if you can post them for us.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
Ph=8.0-8.5
Ammonia=0.6
These are the levels I got,could be wrong,I'm not used to testing:)
P.S. just noticed some white dots running around in the hair algae(think copods or something like that,are these ok!!!)
Again thanx a lot bear for your advice

Hmmm....

Copepods are good for the tank.

If you have no fish in there and have not done it yet, I strongly urge you to drop a raw shrimp in the tank. Wait 24 hours and then test your ammonia. If it's 2-4 ppm then remove the shrimp. Then test every other day. When the ammonia starts dropping test the nitrites. They will spike up and then drop. A few days after you see nitrites start testing for the nitrates. When the ammonia is back to 0, the nitrites are back to zero, and you have a bunch of nitrates- do a BIG pwc to get the nitrates as close to zero as possible. This is the only way to know for sure you are cycled and can safely add fish.

Hey guys. I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm totally new to it all. A good friend is very knowledgable in all things home aquariums and he said to join here.

Long story short, just bought my wife a 46L edge. She's loved clown fish her whole life so intention is to keep it simple with a little bit of live rock, a good pump (Tunze 6015), heater etc. And after a good cycle add the little guys.

I too, apologise in advance for 'silly questions'! But thanks for your time. Look forward to hearing more.

I'm looking to plug in some time over the next day. Was going to add coral sand and 20L s/w then return to the store to collect RO in the drum.

Very open to 'tricks of trade' to facilitate a smooth set up!

Also interested to hear more about different lighting options?

Ryan

I would add the Sand after the water is in. Do salt water, then rocks, then sand. If you put in bag of sand near the bottom, then cut it open under water, it causes less mess. I did mine this way and my 55g only took 2 days for sand to settle. This is just a suggestion, of course. And don't forget to paint the back (or background, whichever you're doing) before you add water. Sometimes people get excited and forget that part. :)

Ok cool. My only concern with putting the sand in that way is the opening in the top of the Edge is quite small. I'll see how it goes though.

Again-greatly appreciated! Will post photos as I progress!

Any thoughts on positioning of the Tunze? I'm thinking hidden towards the back but higher in the aquarium-facing slightly towards the top.

Beengirl said:
I would add the Sand after the water is in. Do salt water, then rocks, then sand. If you put in bag of sand near the bottom, then cut it open under water, it causes less mess. I did mine this way and my 55g only took 2 days for sand to settle. This is just a suggestion, of course. And don't forget to paint the back (or background, whichever you're doing) before you add water. Sometimes people get excited and forget that part. :)

Hi Beengirl, just wondering what the methodology is behind adding the sand the way you do? (After the water is in the tank)

Cheers,
Matt

Abno10 said:
Any1 identify these for me!!!

Abno it looks like a little coralimorph and the other photo a few zooanthids, they look like thearnt quiet open in that photo. common little critters on good live rock which it looks like you have. Good luck with it.

Boodopora said:
Hi Beengirl, just wondering what the methodology is behind adding the sand the way you do? (After the water is in the tank)

Cheers,
Matt

For the initial set up I mixed and heated the SW in the empty tank. Then the rock so that the rock is on the bottom and burrowing fish don't disturb and knock down my rock work. I used LS, so I didn't need to rinse it and getting the bag lower in the tank i think helped prevent a huge sandstorm. It's not scientific proof, but I poured it in late one evening and in the morning 2 days later (so really day and a half), tank was clear. IME it worked.

Well lads and lassies,any got any info on a light called a aquaray mini 500 hd,would it be good enough for my tank????

A question regarding the lights on the fluval. I believe the power for the filter an the lights comes from one cord? How do you go with timing for the lights on and off each morning

Back
Top Bottom