Fluval Evo 13.5g reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I ordered 13.5g fluval evo. I just need some advices on stocking.

I want to put there:
Two clown
One firefish

Any advices on crabs, shrimps, snails or something else? I don't want high bioload.

Also, can I grow some macro algae directly in the tank? If yes, what kind? Something easy.

What is the best way to control nitrates/phosphates (except WC)? Can I use vodka dosing with nano skimmer, or XL biopellets and GFO in media chamber?

Do I need to remove a sponge and biorings from media chamber, to prevent detrius built-up?

Any other advise?

Thanks

Having that many fish in such a small tank will lead to issues. I wouldn't have more than the two clowns so they don't go territorial postal and beat any other fish to death.
You can grow macro algae right in the display easily. Many people do it in their fish only systems or most specifically pipefish and seahorse tanks. All macro algae is easy to grow, the better the light the better it will grow.
The best way to control nutrients in the water column is by water changes. In such a small tank that would make a 50% water change what I do weekly on my system.
Vodka dosing, sugar dosing, biopellets, and GFO are things that I would only look towards when water changes simply aren't keeping up with what you are trying to accomplish.
The sponge filter is just fine as long as you are cleaning it weekly. I simply rinse mine out in the water I remove during my water changes and replace it. I do have additional ones to swap out if I feel like, but time has shown me that was a waste of my money and that filter socks were the better route.

Thanks for advice! I don't like WC. Maybe I can use macro and biopellets/gfo to prevent WC?

Thanks

Water changes are important to the overall health in your system. It isn't as simple as just nitrates and phosphates. There are other trace elements that are being replenished by your water changes that even the most sophisticated of our hobby grade equipment can't test for yet.

I also have one evo and it's an sps reef. I put in there 1:clown fish and 1: six line wrasse. As for shrimp 1 clear shrimp. I do 50% once a week and the light I changed it. It's a HD prime. IMG_1156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom