Fresh to Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there! I currently have a 38 gallon aquarium and a 10 gallon QT tank, although I have some work to do to get the 10 gallon back to its original purpose....

Anyway! I have always wanted to do a saltwater tank but read that moving into saltwater right away wasn't a good idea, so I started out freshwater. I have been very successful so far at taking care of my freshwater fish, and have found it to be an enjoyable hobby.

I have considered eventually switching over my 38 gallon to saltwater, however, my LFS owner says he doesn't think that it would be a good idea. He recommends no less than a 55 or larger. I have seen many people on this forum however that have successfully kept even smaller tanks than a 38 going with saltwater. I think that with proper maintenance, I could successfully do a 38 saltwater, but I figured I'd ask people with more experience. I try to do my research before I buy. Besides, I really can't afford to set up a 55 gallon with all the equipment and investment that would go into a saltwater setup. But with this tank, I would only need the saltwater supplies...I have everything else.

I wouldn't keep any fish that would get very large. I would like to have a few small clownfish with anemones and other smaller compatible fish.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Paul

The nicest reefs I have seen first hand are my buddy's 29 and 33.
Seen lots of pictures of bigger. He also has a 90 that he stocks from these.
This picture does it no justice!

55+ is usually suggested for beginners because it's easier to keep an eye on the levels, and it's therefore much more forgiving.

If you're dedicated, and experienced with freshwater, I have no doubt in your abilities to keep a 38 going just fine.

An Anemone will require good lighting and a well established tank.

For fish, I'd like to suggest you get a Goby if you find them attractive: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=194

They're pretty peaceful, and lots of fun to watch, not to mention colorful.

While it is true that larger SW tanks are easier to keep, I think you will do fine starting with a 38 gal. That was the size f my first SW tank 9 years ago. I was sucessful (moderately) and did not even know about the benefits of LR, LS and good lighting. Larger tanks are easier because greater water volume is more foregiving to mistakes and less prone to drastic swings in temp and water chem. Do lots of research (you are off to a good start) go slow and, as Corty mentioned, hold off on the aneome for about a year.

my tank is a 20 long and im a SW newbie. I have had zero issues with my small tank. just make sure you have a very accurate heater so you can maintain the temp and stay on top of evaporation so the sg doesnt creep up. Keeping the temp and salinity constant is key. If you do that with your monthly 20% water change you will be fine.

Started with a fully stocked 75G. I suppose most of my early success was due to the volume (about 95G with a 20G sump) I have wanted to go nano or micro, but it is real delicate balance in smaller tanks. I cut my teeth on a 5G fw tank first, so you should be all set no matter what you do.

GL!

I think you should be fine with a 38G SW tank. I agree with everyone else's comments and would stay away from anemones. They can be very difficult to keep for beginners and for the most part require strong lighting. I would recommend getting used to a SW fish only tank first. Do plenty of research on the fish that you want. Often times, smaller fish aren't suitable for smaller tanks. For example, you might find a small Tang that you like, but they need lots of swimming room.

read that moving into saltwater right away wasn't a good idea
a buddy of mine that had FW tank told me the same thing! With the help of people here in AA and lots, lots and lots of reading and research Ive had my first tank ever for 8 months without any deaths :) "nock on wood". What I did was (as the previous comments suggested) started out with a FO tank but followed the advice and practices of a reef tank excluding the lights.Now, I am slowly converting my FO tank into a reef, which I think youll eventually want :wink: IMO you should not any trouble switching to SW, HTH

Back
Top Bottom