Future 20g nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I started thinking about my next reef. As some of you may know, my 3g is my first salt tank. I'm looking to do my second reef in a significantly larger tank. I started thinking today about different tank sizes, and a 20 seems like a good option.

I started this thread to present a few ideas I've had so far, and to welcome any advice you guys may have.

Right now, I'm still not sure about lighting, but I'm sure I'll be wanting an sps capable setup, and of course something I can keep all my lps and sps in from my 3g. In general, I am cutting costs where possible, but am making no decisions that could compromise the setup in the long run (i.e. Using base rather than LR is something I am definitely planning on)

This build would probably not get started for quite a while (months), but the plan might even be of use to new reefers wanting to start a similar reef.)

Hypothetical equipment list (suggestions welcome!)
- 20g long ($30)
- 100w tetra submersible ($11)
- Aquastylesonline 36 led DIY kit
- HeatsinksUSA 31" heat sink
- Coralife thermometer
- Hydor koralia nano (higher of the two GPH rating versions)
- 25 lbs dry pukani (thoroughly cleaned of course)
- 20 lbs sand, probably not live this time around

Hmm... maybe I'm forgetting something.

You could add a skimmer or fuge. Not required though.

Yeah, I'm still considering both options. I was thinking about an aquaticlife mini skimmer 115, but I haven't heard many reviews.

Probably not a fuge, or at least one for considerable nutrient uptake. I might add a fuge just like the one on my 3g, purely for containing inverts temporarily or for running carbon.

Could 2 par38s work? I love mine

I like the idea, your's looks great, but as Mac says for a 20g I'll need very good penetration.

Anyone have an opinion on the penetration aspect for the DIY LEDs?

If not leds I might just get two T5s fixtures, each one with actinic and 10000k.

I like the idea, your's looks great, but as Mac says for a 20g I'll need very good penetration.

Anyone have an opinion on the penetration aspect for the DIY LEDs?

If not leds I might just get two T5s fixtures, each one with actinic and 10000k.

Why not just the Tao panels? Or Kessils, and a150 and you are set.

As for a skimmer, a reef octopus hob like the bh-100 would be awesome. Great export for the tank.

20 high or long? I have a kessil over the 20 high an its perfect. Anything longer and you'd need another one for full coverage.

Why not just the Tao panels? Or Kessils, and a150 and you are set.

As for a skimmer, a reef octopus hob like the bh-100 would be awesome. Great export for the tank.

That's an option I hadn't considered - what the ballpark price for the taos? As for the kessil, they look great on all the tanks I've seen them on, but $250 is a tad more than I was looking to pay (lol I keep sps in my 3g for only $40, so the prices for equipment on a 20g are still kind of surprising.) If this turns out to be the best way to go for sps, then I will definitely be happy to the full amount. Anyways, this would be after a bit of saving anyway ;)

The skimmer looks good, and I'm glad it's not super expensive. I have no experience with skimmers, and I would appreciate it if you could explain a little about why one skimmer is better than another (i.e. How much of a difference would there be between a $50 skimmer and a $150 unit?)

20 high or long? I have a kessil over the 20 high an its perfect. Anything longer and you'd need another one for full coverage.

Not really decided yet, I chose the 20 as a place to start, since it both is not overly large, and has some good fish stocking possibilities.

With the kessil and a 20 high, would I have an sps capable lighting setup? I don't think I could justify buying two kessils for just one 20g, so a 20 high sounds like a good option at this point.

For a 20 high definitely. In my 20 with the kessil I grow acros, montis, bn, stylos, etc...

For a 20 high definitely. In my 20 with the kessil I grow acros, montis, bn, stylos, etc...

That's great! I think I'll be getting one of these to start the build, eventually. I don't want to make the newbie mistake again of buying one light only to decide to upgrade later, which is why I'm planning much farther in advance.

And thanks for your help guys! Always appreciate it!

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System 24-36
I just bought these from Dr Fosters :)

I've always liked my 20g, but you'll say how you want to go bigger really fast. Either of the options (Tao or Kessil) will grow SPS just fine. Just choice, but if you ever upgrade you can keep using the Tao. But I like Kessils a lot.

As for the skimmers. Well, efficiency, quality of parts, brand names. Tons of different things.

Well, let's hope they work. ? My tank has been doing great in half the amount of LED light currently, so I guess we will see.

Yeah I'm with macscale. They're fine lights but if dingus is looking for a 100% sps/clam capable fixture those arent proven enough yet.

Well, let's hope they work. ? My tank has been doing great in half the amount of LED light currently, so I guess we will see.

I think I'll be looking for a very capable light, but thanks for sharing! I hope your tank works put, and it sounds like this light can only help you current setup.

Back
Top Bottom