Getting an 8G biocube on friday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropicallie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never done salt before and this is going to be my first reef tank! I work at a fish store but I mostly work with the freshys so I don't know too too much. Any pointers?

Research, research and research some more before a purchase. Be in no hurry and enjoy your piece of the ocean. A saltwater tank is such a neat hobby! The possibilities are endless. You might be slightly limited with an eight gallon tank but you will still enjoy it! Good luck and feel free to ask question on the forum. So many people are eager to help. Keep us posted!

AnthonyR said:
Research, research and research some more before a purchase. Be in no hurry and enjoy your piece of the ocean. A saltwater tank is such a neat hobby! The possibilities are endless. You might be slightly limited with an eight gallon tank but you will still enjoy it! Good luck and feel free to ask question on the forum. So many people are eager to help. Keep us posted!

Thank you I'm very excited! As of now all I'm planning on getting is a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp but I've been contemplating a small see urchin as well. I'm more interested in the corals!

I would advise against the urchin... The watchman goby and a pistol shrimp is an awesome combo... You could also get a purple fire fish... Lots of colour and fun to watch :)

Craigj247 said:
I would advise against the urchin... The watchman goby and a pistol shrimp is an awesome combo... You could also get a purple fire fish... Lots of colour and fun to watch :)

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions on corals for a beginner?

Well frog spawn and hammer seem to be quite popular as well as certain polyps and leather mushrooms...

I love my radioactive and bam bam zoanthids. Look awesome under actinic lighting. Also grow well under stock lighting!

I'd call it stocked with the goby and shrimp, personally. That's an interesting combo and fun to watch.

I kept an 8 gallon Biocube for some time and I started with zoanthids and palythoas. They're easy to keep and you can find all kinds of colors. Same with mushrooms. Once you do well with some of the beginner corals, you could look into something like frogspawn, acans, etc. Avoid SPS corals. The Biocube 8 doesn't have enough light to keep them, without some major modification.

Upload pics when you get your tank and start setting up k... I'd like to follow the process up to the first coral introductions :)

Craigj247 said:
Upload pics when you get your tank and start setting up k... I'd like to follow the process up to the first coral introductions :)

Okay!! I'm glad to know you're interested! It makes it more exciting

Lol.... Everyone in this forum is interested in new comers to the hobby... Trust me you will love it... It is hard at the start but don't give up on it k :)

Craigj247 said:
Lol.... Everyone in this forum is interested in new comers to the hobby... Trust me you will love it... It is hard at the start but don't give up on it k :)

Oh trust me I won't! I am so excited I can hardly see straight! I work a fish store and all I could think of when I was feeding anemones and corals today was which ones I was going to get :)

Back
Top Bottom