Good corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M looking for some good corals that can be placed on the sand bed , I have a 20 gallon with a torch on the left on top of the rocks and a single rock in the middle of the tank that has some green star polyps frags And on the right side where the rocks are I have a frag or some frogspawn that still has no visible polyps. On the right sandbed in the front I have an orange tube anemone but I have a large open space of sand in the middle front where I want a bright beautiful coral to go...any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

Perhaps some plate corals?
Or, I'm wanting a nice size open brain coral to go on my sandbed.
You can also get some xenia/anthelias, leathers, shrooms, basically any soft coral that doesn't require a lot of light. Or maybe some non-photosynthetic corals. A feather duster?

The first coral that came to my head was some kind of Brain. I like all of the ideas above too (y)!

As already said id go with some type of brain coral or one of my favorites some acans

I'll have to look into those at my lfs when I go later today! Can hammer corals go on the sand?

they can but the flow and lighting might not be right. if your looking for a coral that will grow fast, not really care what flow/lighting it has for the most part, and colorful, i would go with green star polyps. they grow pretty fast, from what ive heard 1/4"+ a week. the nice part is that they can be a type of filtration because they only eat and they dont expel anything.

needmorecowbell said:
they can but the flow and lighting might not be right. if your looking for a coral that will grow fast, not really care what flow/lighting it has for the most part, and colorful, i would go with green star polyps. they grow pretty fast, from what ive heard 1/4"+ a week. the nice part is that they can be a type of filtration because they only eat and they dont expel anything.

Yes! I love my GSP's. I even have them on the sandbed with lots of rubble around them in the center. Ive never seen it done before, but i want them to take over the sandbed and ill have a nice green lawn

Yes! I love my GSP's. I even have them on the sandbed with lots of rubble around them in the center. Ive never seen it done before, but i want them to take over the sandbed and ill have a nice green lawn

I bet that would look awesome. I've thought of having mine grow up the back glass. I don't know if it would do it but that would look cool.

A guy at the LFS told me he had one of those big ship ornaments in one of his tanks with gsp growing all over it. That sounded pretty cool.

i made a thread about that. it will work. i was going to but im thinking i might just put it in my sump and tear off a small piece and put it in my tank. ive heard its a good filter material.

Back
Top Bottom