GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Let me just start this off by saying I am new to saltwater. I KNOW I am going to make mistakes on this build, but I hope with advice from experienced reef keepers I can keep my mistakes to a minimum.

I am an experienced freshwater keeper, so I know basic things like maintaining water quality, not to overstock, be patient with cycling, and do your research first. I will need help to clear up some confusion I have about certian things I have researched like lighting and cycling a saltwater tank.

This build is starting from scratch, so here is what I have...

5 Gallon rimless tank (freebie)
Appropriate Heater (one of my many extras)
Aquaclear 50 (I already have it so I want to use it, ***is this enough circulation? too much circulation?)
sand
thermometer
5 gallon bucket for keeping premixed "top off" and water changes
air pump and ai stone for bucket
heater for bucket

Alright, these are the basic starter items I need...

refractometer (***more accurate and preferred for nano salt tanks...right?)
salt
live rock
light
test kit for saltwater (I have an API test kit for my fresh tanks, ***can I use any of those tests for the salt tank? like pH test?)

Please let me know if I am missing anything that I need now to start the cycle in a day or so.

Alright, now additional questions:

1.) can I start the cycle with sand and live rock in the tank and a blister of frozen brine shrimp in a net bag (1.5 teaspoon)?

2.) I am looking at light options that will let me to grow most anything that will fit in the 5 gallon. I have narrowed my list to these two options (Finnex FugeRay marine + led 12 inch OR TruLumen Pro Marine fusion led). I use the trulumen diamond white in 55 fresh tank an love them, but I am unsure of how well they will work for growing coral. Is a different light more recommended? (budget for light 100$).

For those of you that take the time to read this monster of an intro post thanks!!
:thanks:

Day one of "cycle"

I setup my tank today. I tried out my aqua clear 50 before setting in its final spot and decided it was not enough flow. I instead tried out an aqua clear 110 that I got as an accidental double shipment (yay!). I think the flow with the 110 is perfect, plus I think I can use the filter space for a small refugium (yay again!). I picked up some live rock today which as it so happened has been sitting curing for 4-5 weeks and is fully cured (just seems to be my day!).

I am not sure if the rock being fully cured means I can skip the cycle process, but I decided to test out if the rock is fully cured and added several blisters of frozen brine shrimp to a netted bag in the tank. I will monitor the ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels over the next few days. The pH is perfect.

I decided to use instant ocean reef salt. I also setup a "top off" bucket today with pump, airstone and heater.

I have decided to go with the finnex fugeray marine+ light. If i don't like it I can always return it (yay for amazon!).

pics of tank to follow!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418521267.546678.jpg

Cloudy and the rock placement is not final.

Ideas for corals:

Green star polyp
Zoas
Mushrooms
Ricordia
Duncan
Acan

Yep, that's it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry looks like I'm late to the party!

Welcome to the SW side and I hope you enjoy your stay.

For your light, I'd recommend looking into a par30 bulb from Reef Koi, Coral Compulsion or other such brands. No, I'm not typing 30 on accident, because Par38 is going to come up first and will be a little too powerful.

I just want to double check that you aware to top of the tank with fresh RODI water; not salt.

The Refractometer is better for all tanks, not just nanos.

The API freshwater kit can be used for saltwater, however they aren't the most accurate. I would add and Alkalinity Test to start off and if you ever venture into SPS a Calcium and Magnesium too.

As far as the cured live rock goes, I would still add ammonia and see if it processes completely to nitrate in 24 hours.

Adding the brine shrimp in a media bag will not be enough of an ammonia source and will drive up phosphates as well. A table shrimp or Pure Ammonia from your local hardware store (ACE normally has it).

As for the salt, be sure you are using the Reef Crystals version of Instant Ocean or else it won't mix to proper levels for corals.

Sorry looks like I'm late to the party!

Welcome to the SW side and I hope you enjoy your stay.

For your light, I'd recommend looking into a par30 bulb from Reef Koi, Coral Compulsion or other such brands. No, I'm not typing 30 on accident, because Par38 is going to come up first and will be a little too powerful.

I just want to double check that you aware to top of the tank with fresh RODI water; not salt.

The Refractometer is better for all tanks, not just nanos.

The API freshwater kit can be used for saltwater, however they aren't the most accurate. I would add and Alkalinity Test to start off and if you ever venture into SPS a Calcium and Magnesium too.

As far as the cured live rock goes, I would still add ammonia and see if it processes completely to nitrate in 24 hours.

Adding the brine shrimp in a media bag will not be enough of an ammonia source and will drive up phosphates as well. A table shrimp or Pure Ammonia from your local hardware store (ACE normally has it).

As for the salt, be sure you are using the Reef Crystals version of Instant Ocean or else it won't mix to proper levels for corals.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!I have been wanting to get a salt tank started for a while :dance:

A LOT has happened since I last made my last post just a few hours ago...

As I said in my first post, I know I am going to make mistakes and already I have made a major first mistake. The 5 gallon I decided to use was an older beat up tank and it decided to wait till I had everything setup to crack right down the middle :banghead: Water went everywhere and fast. The only good thing that happened was I had already premixed a 5 gallon bucket of salt water so I could put my live rock in there right away. Since it was not too late I decided to go get a new tank.

I now have a 8.5 gallon tank that is rectangular with curved front corners (like the smaller one). I am still using the aqua clear 110 and circulation still looks good. So far everything is running smoothy :hide:

I will get some ammonia from the hardware store tomorrow (no more brine shrimp). I also have kh and gh test stuff coming in.

Finally, I am using the reef crystals version of instant ocean. Also, I will look into those lights, thanks!

One question:

1.) how much ammonia do I add per gallon?

For the ammonia... There's just some nonchalant number of 4ppm for the cycle, I'm not even sure why it just kinda echos around the forums. Just dose some ammonia in the tank and test to see how high it goes.

As for the lights - it goes both ways.
You see, corals utilize different lights to grow typically Yellow or White Lights, now the blues/purples/uv are what give the corals color.

The bulbs will come in a few different spectrums, 10k-20k probably.

The lower the kelvin rating the whiter it is, the less color in the corals.

The higher the kelvin rating the bluer the light will be. Which means more color in the corals like actinic bulbs do.

There's no set spectrum but too white won't grow anything either. They require both to some extent.
Most people end up running 12-15k I personally 15-18k.

Sorry about the tank cracking! You definitely be happier with the bigger One.

For the ammonia... There's just some nonchalant number of 4ppm for the cycle, I'm not even sure why it just kinda echos around the forums. Just dose some ammonia in the tank and test to see how high it goes.

As for the lights - it goes both ways.
You see, corals utilize different lights to grow typically Yellow or White Lights, now the blues/purples/uv are what give the corals color.

The bulbs will come in a few different spectrums, 10k-20k probably.

The lower the kelvin rating the whiter it is, the less color in the corals.

The higher the kelvin rating the bluer the light will be. Which means more color in the corals like actinic bulbs do.

There's no set spectrum but too white won't grow anything either. They require both to some extent.
Most people end up running 12-15k I personally 15-18k.

Sorry about the tank cracking! You definitely be happier with the bigger One.

decided to go with the coral compulsion 14 watt Par 30 LED 18k Vibrance reef light. It was the best price for value light I could find. I did also get some 90 degree led lenses for cheap just in case the 60 degree lens does not cover the entire tank.

I will be picking up some ammonia tomorrow so hopefully by tuesday I will know if I am cycled or not.

Just curiously, could I do a single green or yellow clown goby? I know that 10 gallon is the minimum, but I thought I would ask for opinions on this anyways.

Cool! Way to dive on in:) can't wait to see it come up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I added ammonia last night. It was at about 4ppm. I am at the 12 hour mark and the ammonia level is down to about 1.5ppm. I am using api freshwater test, so I now it's not entirely accurate. I going out now to get an ammonia test just for saltwater.

Looking good so far :)

So my parameters are showing this tank is cycled! Or at least the rock is sufficiently cured for the tank to withstand occupants...

I went ahead and got more cured live rock today so I will wait a few days and then test it again. I like my layout, but any suggestions for improvement? Also, I got my new light in today!! Ps, please excuse the background...I was desperate for a background and my wrapping paper was handy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418795040.904678.jpg

I have a question about one of my new rocks. It has spongy looking, dark purple spots on it. Not sure what it is, but it looks neat! I am hoping someone can tell me it is safe for my tank. If not I will have some scraping to do.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418794828.880690.jpg

Also I have seen my first hitchhiker! A worm I think...pic below. It's in the middle, half tannish and half purple. It's squished up in the pic, but it was long and stretched out. About 3/4 inch long.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418794853.058244.jpg

Yeah they're harmless scavengers. They get mistaken for bad guys when we catch them cleaning a dead/dying fish or coral when in fact they're just doing their job.

Back
Top Bottom