Graham's 20L reef (college budget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It happens within a few days or so. I had just cleaned them about 4 days ago.. the algae seems to come back in the same spots each time on the rock and heavily on the powerheads and heater.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a nice looking green Mille! I don't think it's Dino's either, Dino's are usually stringy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any idea on what to do? I do need to get an in line tds meter to be sure on my RO but I'm stumped on why I never had algae problems for 2 years using tap and then when I switch to RO I'm getting it like crazy but only on certain spots. I have tested for nitrates and phosphates in both my RO and tank water and both show 0 with API test kits. I know they're not the most accurate and I'll really know when I get the tds meter but I just don't get why I never had algae problems using tap but now I am with RO. Would so more pics of some other algae spots help? Corals are all doing fine and growing like usual but this algae is just unsightly. I've even removed rocks it was on and scrubbed but it came back in a few days. Any ideas?

I feed just once a day. Some mysis and then some veggie mixed in here and there. Only about 1/4 per day. Could it be possible my rock/sand is leaching the nitrates and phosphates from when I used tap?

Ordered a dual in line tds meter and pressure gauge today so I can try to really narrow it down. Hoping it comes sometime next week

So quick update. Moved apartments last week so had to do the dreaded tank move.. turned out pretty well. Everything made it thankfully amd corals are almost fully extended. Also took the opportunity to switch out the sand and change the rock scape a bit. Fragged a few of the monti's as well as they were just ginormous. Here's a quick pic..
1447989887635.jpg
1447989903670.jpg

Looks awesome! Glad to hear everything made it.

Looks awesome! Glad to hear everything made it.

Thanks bribo. Still gotta glue all the corals down but pretty happy with how it all went.

Grabbed a few things over the black Friday weekend.. bluish mille, some unknown sps, and a nice blue/red acan. I'll get some pics of em tomorrow tomorrow

Here's the frags
1449016093196.jpg1449016105842.jpg1449016133089.jpg

Nice looking frags! That milles gonna be nice when it grows out

So was thinking of maybe adding a chalk bass. Did a little reading and it seems there is mixed opinions on keeping them with shrimp.. would he try eating my 2 fire shrimp? Only thing really holding me back at this point as I'd hate to lose my shrimp

No way he'd eat them. They're a basslet like royal grammas and fire shrimp get to big. They're cool little fish

So, abandoned the chalk bass idea in favor of something a little bit more interesting..
1451325249198.jpg
He was donated at work by someone taking their tank down so I was able to take him home for FREE. I had to move a few fish around but definitely worth it. He's just about 8" I would say

I'm literally so jealous right now! That's an insanely sweet deal for a dwarf golden moray. They're such cool eels!!! Crazy someone just gave him up

I know. When I saw it in the bucket i was blown away the person wanted to just give it away. Lol Definitely not gonna hear me complaining

Yeah man that's quite the steal! If my tank wasn't open top I'd definitely have one...(and the gfs afraid of snake like animals lol). Awesome fish though! I'd love to see pics when he starts to come out more

Ya I'll definitely be snapping a bunch more as he gets more comfortable in the tank. Speaking of a lid, I tossed a glass top I have on the tank with the plastic back trimmed closely to the skimmer and HOB filter but It's just temporary. Any suggestions on material to use? I was thinking some sort of clear plastic cut closely around filters and wires and then drilling a bunch of small holes throughout the piece for gas exchange. Thoughts?

So was thinking of maybe adding a chalk bass. Did a little reading and it seems there is mixed opinions on keeping them with shrimp.. would he try eating my 2 fire shrimp? Only thing really holding me back at this point as I'd hate to lose my shrimp

No way he'd eat them. They're a basslet like royal grammas and fire shrimp get to big. They're cool little fish

I know I'm a little late on this ... bribo is correct not all basslets can fit a fire shrimp in there mouth,
there are only 2 basslets I know of that have a big enough mouth to eat a fire shrimp whole , the first is a lantern basslet second is a harlequin basslet I have both of these and seen it first hand and I keep these in my predator tank , the chalk basslet has a big mouth but seem to be more laid back and show no interest and I trust him in my reef,
now that eel is sweet there eye sight is a little weak so unless the shrimp was right on his nose I think the shrimp should be safe, I always wanted a eel but my wife is terrified of them

Back
Top Bottom