Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had a massive outbreak of hair algae in my 5.5 gallon reef. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398822400.365287.jpg

Photoperiod - 8 hours
pH - 8.0
Temp - 77 F
Nitrates - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Salinity - 1.021

Also the only additional nutrients it would be getting is from the occasional shrimp pellet I toss in for my snail.

Algae growth indicates a nutrient issue in your tank. With it being such a small tank, it is easy to remove them via water changes. Why are you feeding the tank for a snail? It can just eat the algae growth and shouldn't really need fed...

It's a nassarius so I don't think it eats algae. Ill try a few water changes though and see what happens, my last one was two weeks ago.

You shouldn't need to feed that much to cause algae issues. I reef my reef tank twice a week and the same snails don't mind. Is that all the livestock you are keeping in the tank besides coral?

So far yes. Only other thing I'm thinking of adding is a pom pom crab.

I happen to like hair algea but it is an issue.since theirs coral its clearly salt water....I don't know much about salt water but if it were fresh I'd put in some herbivores in there and do water changes.check ur nitrate and ammonia and do water changes maybe 50%on a weekly baises.I know clams are filter feeders(right?) Maybe they can help.

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adding additional creatures to feed and poop aren't a solution. The algae needs manually removed along with large water changes. Water changes need to be weekly to keep parameters in check. With almost no creatures in the tank, it needs almost no food. If nitrates go in, they have to go out.

I was thinking shrimp.they have low Bio.but like I said I don't really know squat bout tiny salts.just said what I would try.lol but if I'm wrong thanks for correcting my error

I was thinking shrimp.they have low Bio.but like I said I don't really know squat bout tiny salts.just said what I would try.lol but if I'm wrong thanks for correcting my error

Shrimp don't eat algae and aren't considered part of a "cuc"

Keeping a shrimp in a tank this size would be a nice fit. Once you get the algae outbreak under control, I would simply feed it one small piece of shrimp, krill,...whatever. That will keep the nutrients low and controllable.

Back
Top Bottom