Halloween crab munching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetinyreef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone else seen their Halloween Crab munching on zoanthids? I thought they were reef safe..but after tonight I may trade him in.

Mine pic algae off the zoo's bit doesn't actually eat them

He's the only crab in my 16 gall. and I only have a few snails...but maybe I will try to add some nori for him to have extra munchies. I will give him some more time and see what happens. Thanks!

That is a pretty small tank for one of these guys considering the size they get. Inch to inch and a half means a good amount of food to feed off of. And in a normal "clean" tank, not much to much on. These guys love algae, but are omnivores.

Oh I'm glad that you mentioned this! That is one thing I had not considered. Thank you so much. I will look into rehoming him at my local reef store. Thanks again!

You could keep him just throw In a small algae wafer once a week and some shrimp and he will be fine

That is a pretty small tank for one of these guys considering the size they get. Inch to inch and a half means a good amount of food to feed off of. And in a normal "clean" tank, not much to much on. These guys love algae, but are omnivores.

You'll be happy to know I went ahead and traded him in today in exchange for the hammer. They were smitten with the crab..he was large and healthy. Thanks for all your help to this question and the placement one I just had.

Wow good deal on that trade I find it real hard to find a hammer coral now days.

Yes! The shop owner fragged a small piece off a colony for me. I got to watch too! I guess he really liked the size of my Halloween Hermit. Lol

Aren't they a predatory crab? Got sharp claws to catch and tear apart fish???

Back
Top Bottom