Hang-on Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huffers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!

I've got a question regarding my plans to install a hang-on refugium on my 10 gallon nano reef. My refugium has already been ordered and is on the way. It will install on the side of my tank where water from my system will be pumped into the refugium where I plan on having 3 different compartments. The first compartment will house live sand and live rock, the 2nd will house chaeto macroalgae and the 3rd will house my chemipure elite. Due to the fact that this refugium will hang off the side of my display I'm wondering if I will need to install a clamp-on style light to help my macroalgae thrive? I want to avoid a situation where I have a light that has to stay on all the time that would spill over light into my main tank when the lights go out.

You'll want a separate light. My buddy has a 10 gallon and has the AC110 as the fuge. I'll ask him to send me pics of how it's setup and I'll post later.

You do need a light on the fuge to keep the macro alive. The light can be on the same as your display, it's better to have it on 24 hours or opposite time as display.

If I have an additional light installed on the fuge will the macro suffer if I turn it off for about 6 hours every night? I don't want any spill-over light from the fuge into my main tank. I like a period of complete darkness everyday for my main tank.

Huffers said:
If I have an additional light installed on the fuge will the macro suffer if I turn it off for about 6 hours every night? I don't want any spill-over light from the fuge into my main tank. I like a period of complete darkness everyday for my main tank.

What my friend did was painted the filter and the back of the tank to minimize that issue you just mentioned which is a valid concern and the reason he painted everything. Of course some light it filter through but it's not that bad at all, I've seen it lit up at night.

I sent him a text. Hopefully I'll have some pics for you tonight.

Ok thanks convict. I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics. The other problem is that this tank is in my bedroom so I'm gona have to have the light out for sometime at night just do I can sleep! But I may go ahead and install another light over the fuge just so the macro gets a lot of light intensity.

Huffers said:
Ok thanks convict. I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics. The other problem is that this tank is in my bedroom so I'm gona have to have the light out for sometime at night just do I can sleep! But I may go ahead and install another light over the fuge just so the macro gets a lot of light intensity.

No problem. How about one o those submersible lights? It will keep the macro growing and it wouldn't be like a huge spot light.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10W-Single-Light-WTL10.htm

Perfect! Just purchased that light. So what ill do is paint the outside of my refugium black and then install the light down underneath the chaeto in the 2nd compartment. Thanks convict!

Huffers said:
Perfect! Just purchased that light. So what ill do is paint the outside of my refugium black and then install the light down underneath the chaeto in the 2nd compartment. Thanks convict!

Anytime!!

One final question... When I'm painting this thing can I use any paint that I desire or am I going to need some kind of non-toxic paint? Obviously I would only be painting the outside of it but I didn't know if they made some kind of fish-safe paint or not.

Ok I'll keep a lookout for them. I picked up a general can of black spray paint and have painted the outside. I think this things really gona turn out pretty cool. I tried my best to not allow any paint to hit the inside. Hoping I did well in that department ha

Yea that looks great. My refugium came in the mail but unfortunately it's just going to be too big to install on the side. I looked into installing it on the back but it was going to mess up how my lights installed so I decided to go another route. I instead turned my HOB filter into a fuge with live rock in the bottom and macro algae in the top. I'm using chaeto. Here's a few pics. What do you think?

Btw that light you recommended came in the mail today. I was pumped. It's a great product thanks again for the recommendation. I think I'll just leave it on 24/7 to increase algae growth.

Attachments

• image-3434958629.jpg
    image-3434958629.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image-877068820.jpg
    image-877068820.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3043365736.jpg
    image-3043365736.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2415750442.jpg
    image-2415750442.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 77
Huffers said:
Yea that looks great. My refugium came in the mail but unfortunately it's just going to be too big to install on the side. I looked into installing it on the back but it was going to mess up how my lights installed so I decided to go another route. I instead turned my HOB filter into a fuge with live rock in the bottom and macro algae in the top. I'm using chaeto. Here's a few pics. What do you think?

Btw that light you recommended came in the mail today. I was pumped. It's a great product thanks again for the recommendation. I think I'll just leave it on 24/7 to increase algae growth.

I have 2 small hob filter that I took off of the 30g when I change to to a SW tank. Can't remember the name brand right now, but was wondering if I could use that as a small refugium. Is there any kind of criteria it would need to become one? I wouldn't know how to alter the flow rate, theyre each made for a 20g tank, I think. if I bought that kinda light and put it on my 55, could I maybe have more Copepods? put rubble rock, and small bit of cheato in there? Could that actually work?

Beengirl said:
I have 2 small hob filter that I took off of the 30g when I change to to a SW tank. Can't remember the name brand right now, but was wondering if I could use that as a small refugium. Is there any kind of criteria it would need to become one? I wouldn't know how to alter the flow rate, theyre each made for a 20g tank, I think. if I bought that kinda light and put it on my 55, could I maybe have more Copepods? put rubble rock, and small bit of cheato in there? Could that actually work?

Yup! That will work! I have ALOT of friends that have HOB's and use them as fuges.

Convict2161 said:
Yup! That will work! I have ALOT of friends that have HOB's and use them as fuges.

Yea!!! Gotta get that set up! Then I can stop buying Copepods for my blenny. :) gotta find a submersible light though.

Back
Top Bottom