Having trouble feeding anemone !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a bubble tip anemone for my nano cube. I have tried to feed it several times using live brine shrimp. It seems to be able to catch the shrimp they get stuck to its tentacles but because there are shrimp floating around the clow that lives with him starts thrashing in and out of the anemone to catch food and he is making the shrimp fall of the tentacles before the anemone gets it to his mouth.

What can i do to make shure the anemone gets some food?

you may switch off the filter pump for about 20 minutes, so the water flow will very slow, the food will not just simply move away from the target place... ^_^

Feed them bigger pieces of shrimp and scallops from the store. Don't feed it a piece that is to big or they will not eat it.
I take a piece of uncooked shrimp and stick it in the center and wiggle it till the anemone closes on the food. This way the fish won't pull it out.

I would ditch the whole live brine idea too. IMO live food is a great way to introduce diseases to otherwise healthy animals.

As suggested try pieces of meaty raw seafood instead.

Also I would not worry to much about feeding the anemone. I may feed mine once every 3 weeks just as a treat. Your anemone will get most of it's nourishment from your lighting. Also it will grab what is floating around in the tank. My anemone has tripled in size since I got it 4 months ago. Couple questions.

What type of lighting do you have?

Also does the clown host the anemone?

If the clown hangs out in the anemone, chances are it will feed it. :wink:

If you want to feed it, take a small piece of whitefish, or shrimp, and feed it by hand. Thats what I have done to ensure that it gets it. Dont worry, be Happy! :D

Thanks for the replies i will try feeding it a piece of shrimp.

Im glad you mentioned the lighting because i was also concerned if it is sufficient. The lighting is only what comes with a nano cube and that is a 24 watt 50/50 compact flourecent bulb.

And yes the clown lives in the anemone . He never leaves accept when he feeds. And it is a black and white sebae clown if it matters.

Back
Top Bottom