Head's 29G Biocube journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what the pictures show it looks similar to a carpet anemone, but I have a mushroom in my tank that has those colourings!
Am amazed you got all those come with your live rock. But I doubt I'm gonna travel 3000 miles to collect from you LFS lol. Good luck with it all though!

The only thing needed for bacteria to complete the cycle is ammonia. Doing a water change does not eliminate ammonia and does not slow or stop the process.

I have cycled 7 tanks this way and all very fast. I start the water changes when i see first signs of nitrate.

So why do you advise someone to do big water changes when they see ammonia in their tank? Ammonia is in the water and when you do a water change, you take it out. Period.

spoonman said:
So why do you advise someone to do big water changes when they see ammonia in their tank? Ammonia is in the water and when you do a water change, you take it out. Period.

I advised the water changes when nitrates first appear. Once nitrate appears, ammonia has no purpose, removing it will not effect anything. Perhaps your confused on what im saying.

Here is antother picture, it is the best one i can get with my camera, It has definitely moved if you look on the last page you can tell

s1j281.jpg

I advised the water changes when nitrates first appear. Once nitrate appears, ammonia has no purpose, removing it will not effect anything. Perhaps your confused on what im saying.

Ammonia does have a purpose. It is acting as the fish until you put fish in there. Without ammonia as the starting point, there is no cycle. Ammonia>NitrItes>NitrAtes. It starts the cycle and maintains the cycle.

BHead707 said:
Here is antother picture, it is the best one i can get with my camera, It has definitely moved if you look on the last page you can tell

Could possibly be a Carribean Rock Anemone too. Although texture does suggest a baby carpet.

spoonman said:
Ammonia does have a purpose. It is acting as the fish until you put fish in there. Without ammonia as the starting point, there is no cycle. Ammonia>NitrItes>NitrAtes. It starts the cycle and maintains the cycle.

Im not sure what your disagreeing on. After when nitrates start being produced the cycle is complete. Removing excess ammonia nitrite and nitrate has no consequence. Ammonia and nitrite are food for bacteria. Not sure why you think what im saying is false. Fish do not ever have to be present for a cycle, only some form of decaying matter.

Ok i tested today and have alot of nitrates about 80ppm... i removed the shrimp i had in there as an ammonia source and did a small WC. So what should be my plan now? do a few WC and then get a fish or two? i kinda like chromis for my first fish

Yup! I'd do a couple large (50%) water changes to bring your nitrates down, and as long as you've got no ammonia or nitrites, start stocking.
Yeah. Chromis are cool and one of the least aggressive damsels. Have fun!! :)

ok cool! My father cant keep a fish alive more than a day in his BC 29 so i really hope i have better luck, any advice on how to ensure they live longer than 3 hours

Make sure tank mates are compatible and you properly acclimate. Make sure not to create a stress-inducing environment. :)

I know how to drip acclimate but from what ive read there is some controversy on how long to do it for. Ive seen that you need to double the water volume, or some ppl suggest to do it for 3 hours

what do you think?

also what would make a stress inducing environment?

Most say 4 drips a second until the volume in the container doubles. Take out half and do it again. After you have taken out half twice, you are ready to put in the tank. My experience usually lasts about 2 hours or so.

Most say 4 drips a second until the volume in the container doubles. Take out half and do it again. After you have taken out half twice, you are ready to put in the tank. My experience usually lasts about 2 hours or so.

ok, i just have nightmares because i drip acclimated my dads fish, and like i said nothing would survive

the plan today will be to do a couple large WC test to see if all is good then get a few chromis, if they dont have any chromis are all other damsels pretty aggressive or are some less feisty than others

BHead707 said:
the plan today will be to do a couple large WC test to see if all is good then get a few chromis, if they dont have any chromis are all other damsels pretty aggressive or are some less feisty than others

When I suggested a couple 50% changes, I was implying over a couple days time, not in the same day. You could probably do 1 today and one tom., then stock. But I'm not sure if doing a larger change than 50% in one day would be advisable. Fish are pretty tolerant to Nitrate, for the most part, but if you did 1 today and 1 tom., nitrates would be down to about 20. That would be OK, for adding stock. If you add stock with more nitrate present, the fish are going to contribute to the nitrates and it could build on you. It's best to start with as low a nitrate level as you can. 20 wouldn't be bad, as long as you do weekly water changes.

Ok so my Nitrites have been crazy high, off the charts high,even after water changes. so i let the tank move along for the last couple of days and my test came out 0ppm! finally im thinking im close to ready for some fish now

Back
Top Bottom