Help cycling please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to just put my aquaclear 30 on my 20 gallon along with the false wall I built into it as well until I know that everything is working properly. Little extra flow won't hurt it haha. How are you doing Carey, you answered a lot of my questions when I first started my ten gallon! Haha

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is what I'm referring to as bioballs, they're not "bioballs", pretty sure they're called bio pellets? They came with my aquaclear 30 when I bought it and seem to be working good?

Attachments

• 1391960085941.jpg
    1391960085941.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 82
I call them bio-rings. lol Bio pellets go into a reactor and are completely different.

Good call, a little extra flow and filtration never hurt anyone. :)

Question for everyone, would you recommend a protein skimmer for a 20 gallon long or am I just wasting my money?

It's not a waste of money but it's not required on a 20 either. It will help keep your params more stable

I would skip it. They are ugly and can produce microbubbles. It's very easy to keep a 20 clean with weekly water changes. I believe skimmers are for bigger tanks where water changes are quite large and costly.

I agree, I wouldnt rush out to get a skimmer for a tank that size. :)

I kept a few smaller tanks with no skimmer and only added them for a specific reason, one tank i was overfeeding ALOT cause of the mandarin I had in that tank so a skimmer was a good call. BUT if you do weekly water changes and watch your feeding and stocking you will be just fine with no skimmer.

Live sand and base rock came in today! Hopefully have it setup this weekend

Alright, one last question before I set this bad boy up this weekend, haha. My plan is to do it just like a water change but add 15 gallons on new water and 5 of what's in my ten, is that right? If not what do I do? I'm going to "rinse" the base rock off in the 5 gallons of left over saltwater or should I just rinse it with ro/di water?

I would just use 20 gallons of new water, the bb will be on your rock. One thing you may want to consider is soaking the new base rock for a while in ro/di, then after a couple days check that water for phosphate because base rock can leach phosphate into your system

Alright finally got it wet, waiting for the silicone on my media rack to dry so I can get some media in the, only thing I have now is some live rock robble that I got from my lfs and one piece of live rock from my ten

Attachments

• 1392590794232.jpg
    1392590794232.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 1392590813197.jpg
    1392590813197.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 57
  • 1392590835399.jpg
    1392590835399.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 63
Better picture with the water cleared up

Attachments

• 1392599185141.jpg
    1392599185141.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 63
Everyone moved in today! Occ's are seeming to enjoy it kinda mad I didn't paint the back blue but other then that pretty satisfied

Attachments

• 1393709680857.jpg
    1393709680857.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom