Help Design this Nano Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is what I have:
5G Tank
Heater
Incadescent Light
Filter
Cover

Here is what I plan to get:
Live Rock 3 Lbs and use 2lbs base rock, so that eventually it becomes live.
Crushed coral or sand for substrate (Hope this will also become live eventually).
Hygrometer

Limitations:
Flake food only for now. Freezer not working properly.

Questions:
1. What FISH can be kept here ?
2. What Cleaning Crew can be added here ?
3. What Coral ?

Hopefully, this discussion will give some good design. Thanks in advance.

Vijay

A small fish like a yellow goby but most definatly NOT a mandrin goby. What your limited to is basicly 1 fish.

Shrimp, hermits, snails.

Hello,

I'm new here but may I presume to suggest a refugium and using "live" sand as your filter. I believe you may benefit from the phosphate and nitrate removal by the macroalgae in a refugium and the zooplankton that find their way into your main tank will help you to feed your corals.

Cheers

A refugium is like having a second tank attached to the first tank via plumbing. The refugium would be used to grow algae, enhance your bio filtration via extra sand and rock. The algae acts as a phosphate remover and other nutruient removal while the sand and rock not only act as a bio filter in addition to the sand and rock in the main tank. Its also a great place to grow things that might not have a chance in the main tank like micro fauna.

Not exactly.

A sump in real simple terms is simply a box of water that adds to the total water capacity of the system and also allows you a place to put your skimmer, heater and any other accessory equipment.

A refugium is a sump with out the skimmer, heater and extra equpment and in its place is a deep sand bed and some live rock and some micro algae. The refugium is often light on a reverse light cycle from the tank to help maintan PH levels at night. A sump has no reason to have a light on it.

Here is a thought. If this can be a 10G tank then I can easily keep dwarf sea horse, crab, snail, shrimp and maybe some coral as well. Need to look into this a bit more. Perhaps those with experience can comment on this.

Sea horses are very sensitive creatures. Make sure you read up on the so as you can be successful. I know Hara is one of the members here tht has kept sea horses.

The price of a Sea Horse is $60. This is way too expensive. I am going to consider other fish.

Meanwhile, what can I use as a substrate other than crushed Coral ? Are there other options ? Thanks.

Vijay

I suggest using some live sand for your substrate. I also would go with a neon goby and a pistol shrimp. They make a cool team.

This store doesn't have live sand. I am thinking of adding Live rock + substrate. Hopefully, the creatures will migrate from the rock to the sand. This is the only marine fish store close to me for the present.

Vijay

Well, try and find just some sand, the Crushed coral will eventually become a phosphate factory and become a pain. If you can find some sand (not live) the detrivores will move from the rock.

DHP9 wrote:

Crushed coral will eventually become a phosphate factory and become a pain.

I believe what he meant is Nitrate factory. Even still, it will cause trouble down the line if not taken care of properly.. You could use the CC, however, you will have to vacuum it often to keep detritus from collecting and causing the dreaded Nitrates... I recommend just using the sand and the critters will migrate from it to the sand...just take a little longer but it will happen...

i would suggest getting a true pericula or some kind of clown fish. They are common in nano tanks and look cool when you have some anenamies in ther. but dont put corral unless you have an annenamy because the clown fish will mistake the coral for an anenomy and kill eithe the fish or the coral.

but dont put corral unless you have an annenamy because the clown fish will mistake the coral for an anenomy and kill eithe the fish or the coral.

This is not true, or at least to my knowledge. I have talked to hundreds of people who don't agree on the collecting of wild anemones and therefore do not have them in their tanks. I have a clown, corals and no anemone. My clown is fine.

I do not recomend getting an anemone but that IMPO

I oppologize. you are probably right. what happend to me is that i had a clown that had a big annenomy. unfortunatly the annenomy died in an unfortunat filter accident and the clown must have gotten confused and started to take refuge in a coral. the fish died from rubbing against the coral because it lost most of its scales. also the coral is starting to die.

what i should have said is that if your clown likes the annenomy do you best to keep the annenomy. but i also doubt if the clown will take refuge in coral. i think maby this was an awquard one time thing.

again i apolagize.

is it safe to put an anemony in the same aquarium as coral. if so what problems might accur. if not, why not.

why can you not have a manderine gobby. also can i put one in my 15 gallon high aquarium.

Most mandarins do not take frozen foods, therefore you need a TON of LR and a place for pod growth. Also anemones can live with corals but when they move they may kill all your other corals.

Back
Top Bottom