HELP! Powerhead down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone. I have a 10 gallon nano reef that is going very well. I have a hydor pico-evo-mag 180 gph powerhead. Today it broke! I've only had this powerhead for like 2 months. I emailed hydor like 5 min ago. I cleaned it out and there wasn't anything inside. It's in a bowl of water now plugged in. Is there any way to like jump start it? Thanks as always, joe

Here's my email to hydor:

Hello, I have a hydor pico-evo-mag 180 that I bought about 2-3 months ago from my local fish store. It has been 100% perfect in my 10 gallon reef until today when I realized that there was no flow and my corals were not happy. My circulation pump had stopped working. I took it out of the tank and cleaned it and tested it in a pot of fresh water. The green propeller inside was not spinning as it had always been. Please tell me what I can do to fix it or I will switch to a different circulation pump from another brand. Thanks, joe

Have you tried the good old "smack" it method? I've also noticed they'll re start if you try them out of the water for a second sometimes.

My Aquaclear stopped turning a few months ago so I panicked and that didn't help.

After I was done with that, I read through the troubleshooting section in my user manual where they explained how to disassemble and service the unit. That did the trick, I didn't even need to tap it with a wrench. (But I was prepared to!)

Unless the outside of the motor housing is visibly melted or deformed, the impeller is probably bound up on something. Mine had a piece of gravel in it.

Good luck

My Aquaclear stopped turning a few months ago so I panicked and that didn't help.

After I was done with that, I read through the troubleshooting section in my user manual where they explained how to disassemble and service the unit. That did the trick, I didn't even need to tap it with a wrench. (But I was prepared to!)

Unless the outside of the motor housing is visibly melted or deformed, the impeller is probably bound up on something. Mine had a piece of gravel in it.

Good luck

Thanks. I did disassemble and follow the manual with no luck.

Just buy a Koralia 240, more flow would be better anyway. It happens, but you can't stop using Hydor because of one product that went south.

Just buy a Koralia 240, more flow would be better anyway. It happens, but you can't stop using Hydor because of one product that went south.

Ok. I'll see what my lfs says about what happened. Maybe they will replace it.

You were only running a 180? I have 2 of the 240s in my 10 and am seriously considering a wp10 because I want more flow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You were only running a 180? I have 2 of the 240s in my 10 and am seriously considering a wp10 because I want more flow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep. I liked it. No dead spots and corals looked happy. My filter is also 125 gph and a 90 gph to the refugium

Hydor customer service is great. We figured out the problem and they are sending me a new impeller.

Sent from7?£. my iPhone using Aquarium Advicech cargo laws

Hydor customer support is the BEST I have come across. No matter what the issue with my some dozen powerheads I have from them they always work it out and quick. They ship replacement parts out right away and overall they are just great. The koralias are prob my favorite powerhead. :)

Hydor customer support is the BEST I have come across. No matter what the issue with my some dozen powerheads I have from them they always work it out and quick. They ship replacement parts out right away and overall they are just great. The koralias are prob my favorite powerhead. :)

Yep. Will def be sticking with them. Amazing customer survive and great product

Sent from7?£. my iPhone using Aquarium Advicech cargo laws

Back
Top Bottom