Help with clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtimtam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so my clownfish has been doing fine for a good 2 months now!! I also have a royal dotty back in with him. First he would always go at the back to the powerhead and just stay there, but his been coming at the front to eat whenever I go near the tank!! Second lately his been going up to the surface where the powerhead is and just swims sideways!!! But then swims normally again!! Whenever my dotty back comes out he goes right there !! Is he scared? Eating normally, water parameters perfect all corals opened up !!! Help me is he being bullied by the dotty back

Could be territorial. So, bullied, yes. How was he introduce to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Introduced fine!! He was in the tank about a month before dotty back, but today he was fine, the clownfish is becoming abit territorial... Whenever I out my finger in the tank he attacks me!! His coming out abit, eating fine!! I'm getting another clownfish on Saturday and might get rid of the dotty back

The most apparent signs of bullying I ever saw in my tank was the fish pecking/biting the other fish. This could just be that fishs personality.

I would say it's all down to your Clown being territorial and leave the dottyback where it is. My clowns showed all of this behaviour when young, 10 years later the make is sadly dead but the female still regards the space behind a certain power head as her "patch".......she has always slept there and I have no doubt she will forever defend that patch as her own

"Parameters are perfect"
"Introduced Fine"
Don't help us help you at all. Clowns are territorial if not introduced correctly. They also have weird personality. Sounds to me like he's just shy. It wouldn't Suprise me if you introduced the dottyback long before he clowns.

Simple as research a fish before a purchase. Also, unless you see physical damage on the clown, don't worry much.

This is also a multiple of threads by you that are very similar, I'd stick to one if you can. Obviously you have an aggressive dottyback.

Also an 8g tank is too small for a dottyback. In nature, fish have lots of room to each have their own territory. Picture a reef in your mind. A fish 2" long probably has a radius of 2 feet or more that he defends as his territory. Cramming too many fish in a small space makes them fight over who's territory it is. Or the less aggressive one will be constantly bullied and stressed by the more dominant one.

Back
Top Bottom