Here is my jump into reef JBJ nanocube 28 intermediate LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capncavey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well here goes my first tank and taking the big step. I got the intermediate, somewhat affordable, tank and will be doing a reef. I will be needing more LED's in time but let's get things started first.
Items so far include refractometer, API liquid saltwater test kit, and hydor koralia nano 425.
I will be getting 20lbs of live rock,I know I need more but it is all I can afford, I figure putting 30lbs base in with it will do the job; eventually.
Heater and thermostat can wait till cycling is finished, living in RI makes that possible I think.
I was wondering what brand has a good black substrate for jawfish.
Also should I leave filter set standard till rock cures?
How about blue tint LEDs that fit nanocube?

Welcome. I used mostly base rock and then nice cured live rock with it and within a month the bright white base rock is already live and covered in a high lighter yellow color which is suppose to be a sign of coralline algae. I'm from RI as well. I haven't had my heater even in my biocube. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Let me know if you got any questions and hopefully I can help u out. I have the biocube 29 which is kinda the same tank Idea. Here is mine

View attachment 110399

Well tank, stand, and salt suppose to arrive tomorrow, I will get to test pumps and make leak checks.
Quick question can I use rodi water and if no leaks just put in salt? Going to be a few days till I get any rock.

Capncavey said:
Well tank, stand, and salt suppose to arrive tomorrow, I will get to test pumps and make leak checks.
Quick question can I use rodi water and if no leaks just put in salt? Going to be a few days till I get any rock.

Yes you could do it that way but only because there is nothing in the tank. Sometimes it takes hours for all the salt to dissolve. But if all you have is water then you can get away with it. I'm sure you know but you don't wanna do it that way when there is anything in there cause it could kill it.

Well salt and water are getting mixed in tank now. I will only be running about 10lbs of live rock and 40lbs of base rock so my question is this... do I leave the bio rings in till rock cures? Eventually I will change it over to LR and fuge...Xmas sounds about right.
Also can I change 1 pump to mj 1200 and still use wave timer?

Capncavey said:
Well salt and water are getting mixed in tank now. I will only be running about 10lbs of live rock and 40lbs of base rock so my question is this... do I leave the bio rings in till rock cures? Eventually I will change it over to LR and fuge...Xmas sounds about right.
Also can I change 1 pump to mj 1200 and still use wave timer?

Your going to want to take out the bio rings. They will serve no real purpose with the live rock in there. Also 50lbs is alot for a 28g cube. Might want to sacrifice up to 20lbs for more room.

Change what pump to mj1200?

Your going to want more flow than the 1 425 koralia nano you have.

Thermometer is a cheap purchase and i recommend one now. If tank is not proper temp, If temps are too cold the cycle will take much longer. To warm will mean dieoff and a prolonged cycle. Need to be within 75-85 degrees for the cycle. Anything outside that and things will probably slow down/ die off temp is just a crucial for bacteria as it is anything else really.

Hope that helps.

Your going to want to take out the bio rings. They will serve no real purpose with the live rock in there. Also 50lbs is alot for a 28g cube. Might want to sacrifice up to 20lbs for more room.

Agree on the 50lbs of rock... that's going to be a LOT in a 28g. I've got about 32lbs in mine and it looks pretty full.

On the bio rings, I'll have to disagree, but for a different purpose. Schism is correct, they will really serve no purpose in the DT with all that live rock. Where they will come in handy, however, is if you plan on quaratining future fish. After your tank is cycled, the bio-rings will have beneficial bacteria on them as well.... when you set up a QT tank, you can just pull the bag of bio-rings out of your sump basket & drop them into a HOB filter on your QT tank and you are ready for fish.....
Two important things to remember if you do this, though.... occasionally pull the bio-rings out and give them a shake in old tank water from a water change. That way you are getting rid of any gunk built up on them that may contribute to nitrates. Second, when you do use them for a QT tank, NEVER put them back into the DT sump when you're done.... throw them away and place a fresh bag of bio-rings into your sump to gain BB for your next quaratine.

Phranque said:
Agree on the 50lbs of rock... that's going to be a LOT in a 28g. I've got about 32lbs in mine and it looks pretty full.

On the bio rings, I'll have to disagree, but for a different purpose. Schism is correct, they will really serve no purpose in the DT with all that live rock. Where they will come in handy, however, is if you plan on quaratining future fish. After your tank is cycled, the bio-rings will have beneficial bacteria on them as well.... when you set up a QT tank, you can just pull the bag of bio-rings out of your sump basket & drop them into a HOB filter on your QT tank and you are ready for fish.....
Two important things to remember if you do this, though.... occasionally pull the bio-rings out and give them a shake in old tank water from a water change. That way you are getting rid of any gunk built up on them that may contribute to nitrates. Second, when you do use them for a QT tank, NEVER put them back into the DT sump when you're done.... throw them away and place a fresh bag of bio-rings into your sump to gain BB for your next quaratine.

Good point if your planning a QT tank. In that respect they can be useful if you plan to go that route.

It may be a bit before I set up QT so after cycle if I don't have tank for them they are useless, well not very beneficial. Can't really store them in Tupperware for several months.
Got my substrate and 15lbs LR in tank. Wow I thought I did a descent job rinsing, talk about cloudy water. I can't wait for water to clear up.
I got fluval e100 for my tank and realized that might not have been a good investment for nanocube, still in box should I get different heater and if so what is recommended?

Capncavey said:
It may be a bit before I set up QT so after cycle if I don't have tank for them they are useless, well not very beneficial. Can't really store them in Tupperware for several months.
Got my substrate and 15lbs LR in tank. Wow I thought I did a descent job rinsing, talk about cloudy water. I can't wait for water to clear up.
I got fluval e100 for my tank and realized that might not have been a good investment for nanocube, still in box should I get different heater and if so what is recommended?

I believe i have a 150w for my 29g, not sure 100w will cut it depending on where you live. Only heaters i actually recommend is Jägers.

I agree with Schism. Jagger's are the only way to go, and my IPad spells things the way it wants so excuse that. I have a 28 nano and am using a 150 with 22 lbs LR, and live sand covered with pink figi. I did not rinse my LR, nor my sand, and I had a hurricane for almost two weeks even with the pumps going and skimmer. I am still using my Bio-Rings, for the sole purpose of using them in a QT, when I eventually (better be soon) set it up. And remember, you will go through several different algae blooms that are not necessarily your fault. I had green water for two weeks, then brown hair algae on my sand, which I am gently raking it off with a fork and picking it up and disposing of it. And, I have followed all the advise of most on this forum as well as a really good LFS that I drive over an hour in heavy traffic to. Well worth finding a really good LFS. Ok, my 2 cents worth, from one fellow newbie to another! :fish1:

Got up and everything had settled so being the fool that I am went and got more substrate. Made sure I mixed up the dust so it would settle on top.
Will the dust suffocate LR? 1/32 to 1/16" of dust.
Once water clears I am going to vacuum LR and sand.
Also in winter tank will be in a room at a balmy 55F, think that would make me want 150watt heater.

Vacuuming sand removes sand and can cause a hurricane that will cover everything and fill your filter media. You will need to change the media every day or so. Yes, sand and other particulates will cover your rock. A small, new paintbrush used very gently can brush away the sand which will cause a little hurricane, but if you're careful, it won't be bad.

Well got all the substrate in I want. I went with Seachem 'gray coast', awesome looking black which I think a future jawfish will like. Close to 4" deep.
How many jawfish, or burrowing fish can I keep in tank? Not mated pairs
Also is there a "formula" for knowing size of cuc? I have a bit of a wait but want to get ideas squared away.
Looking at liveaquaria.com for corals, kind of hard to figure out what I can get with standard lights.

Got up and everything had settled so being the fool that I am went and got more substrate. Made sure I mixed up the dust so it would settle on top.
Will the dust suffocate LR? 1/32 to 1/16" of dust.
Once water clears I am going to vacuum LR and sand.
Also in winter tank will be in a room at a balmy 55F, think that would make me want 150watt heater.

A Turkey baster is a good cheap investment for blowing off live rock etc. also if your tank is in a 55 degree room then I have a feeling your going to want atleast a 150w as the water will need to be heated about 25 degrees which is quite a lot.

I tried a turkey baster but wound up with the hurricane, so I went with the small paintbrush. I saved the baster for target feeding. All in all, it took 2 weeks for me to get all the sand settled and off the rocks. Want to make sure sand is settled and off rock before adding corals, of course. Standard lights, if you're talking about those in a kit, will not work for corals. Forgot what you said you have. Light has to be bright and, in my case, with actinics. My corals are, so far, doing well. I have 28 gallon nano with compact fluorescents and LED moonlights. Tank has been going for either 7-8 weeks. Can't remember as I left for vacation so have lost track.

So this is what I look like so far...15lbs so 10 more to go

Attachments

• image-604187377.jpg
    image-604187377.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1811286528.jpg
    image-1811286528.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 159
  • image-3193991121.jpg
    image-3193991121.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 168
Got the last of my LR in tank now. 27lbs total.
I still have quite a bit of the sediment from when I put in substrate, gives me target areas to vacuum.
Any input on rock layout would be much appreciated. Going with jawfish, firefish; (hopefully x2, purple and other) goby, and mandarinfish. I think they will all get along. Need something for the top layer.
Also coral wise going with low to medium light for now. Anyone know a site for led conversion so I can figure out watts per gallon?
Next upgrade will be intank media basket.

Here it is

Attachments

• image-2031325583.jpg
    image-2031325583.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image-73335275.jpg
    image-73335275.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 155
  • image-3221753611.jpg
    image-3221753611.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 147
Back