Hermit crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmetaltea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my hermit crabs just lost most of his legs, he's doing okay/eating, I just want to him to have a separate tank to be in. I can't find any information on what they need temp. wise, and if I would just be able to use a 2gal tank or a beta falls tank. My local fish store keeps some of their hermits in the beta tanks, so I'm looking into that. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did it lose them after molting? Or from some type of trauma?
You might try one of those plastic, floating live bearer breeding traps (with lid).

I'm thinking it's a molt also when they do this they usually do it close to a bigger shell to switch over too . the legs are left behind as a decoy as they recover in there new shell to avoid predators ,

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454295048.899248.jpg

I accidentally trapped him under a rock and he never tried to escape from his shell, I think I have crushed his legs also. I do have him in a breeder box but I feel like I just need to get him his own little 2 gallon with a live rock, I just have a soft spot for this disabled crab ?

I think it will be fine where it is. You can easily monitor food intake and the water parameters will be the same. Maybe you can add some small rubble rock to keep it entertained.

Back
Top Bottom