Hi all. This is my new tank. Had it a day. Live sand and rock. Currently cycling usin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you tell us more about the system?
Hi. It's a 35l fluvial tank.my LFS have the same one so I'm basically copying them. I do have a question. I'm only on day three of cycle. So far 1.0 ppm of ammonia. 0 nitrite. Obviously waiting for spikes. I'm cycling using a prawn. When do I take prawn out?

Cycling with a shrimp/prawn is the easiest way to do it. You just sit there and let it rot in the tank. Usually putting it in some old panty hose is great for clean up as well. But just watch as it decomposes. Your ammonia will rise and fall into nitrites. As long as there is something in there to decay, you have an ammonia source! So if there is something in there rotting and you have 0 ammonia or nitrite levels detectable, you are cycled. Then you can take out the prawn and do large water changes to bring down the nitrate levels.

Cycling with a shrimp/prawn is the easiest way to do it. You just sit there and let it rot in the tank. Usually putting it in some old panty hose is great for clean up as well. But just watch as it decomposes. Your ammonia will rise and fall into nitrites. As long as there is something in there to decay, you have an ammonia source! So if there is something in there rotting and you have 0 ammonia or nitrite levels detectable, you are cycled. Then you can take out the prawn and do large water changes to bring down the nitrate levels.
Cool thanks. Would you recommend cleaning filters too once cycled? (In dirty water)

What do you mean cleaning filters? I use filter socks in tandem with a protein skimmer and algae turf scrubber, but I have a much larger system than what you're working with.

What do you mean cleaning filters? I use filter socks in tandem with a protein skimmer and algae turf scrubber, but I have a much larger system than what you're working with.
All I have is 3seprate compartments at side of the tank. In the middle is a large sponge with carbon and the white round pellets.

Did a test today and ammonia is at 1ppm and nitrite still at between 0.25/0.50. been testing every day all tests look similar, so nothing spiking too much. Using API test kit1574884478535.jpg

Not sure when you started, but cycling a new tank takes about 3-4 weeks... You could just test once every few dates to make sure you're ammonia is 2-4 ppm range. When it starts disappearing you can yet for the others.

Back
Top Bottom