Hi this sounds AMAZING !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Research and don't over stock to have a healthy tank.

Two things that are most important is a refractometer and a test kit.

Go as big as possible.

What kind of reef tank do you want? Softy. LPS or a SPS

i would prefer the easy care and nearly bulletproof saltwater has been a fascination of mine for a long time and all my fish buddies are FW and sadly that's all i have ever had

Well if you want something easy go with softies.
What is one fish you really want in your tank? That will give us a size of tank to start with. Start with looking at these fish Nano Fish
SW can get very expensive if you buy all new stuff so watch on forums and craigslist for good buys.

i was hoping for a smaller tank setup like the nano tanks, i have a spare 10 and 5.5g that would look awesome with sw fish or inverts there are so many cool little sea creatures.

IMO in a ten u could fit 1 firefish and 1 goby but nothing else

Saltwater fish arnt like freshwater fish. They are much harder and you need to research alot in order for it to work. In a 10 gallon things will be much harder because of how small of a space there is and the water is polluted much faster.

........well poop....i knew it was spendie ill do some more research and get better a fw b4 i try a sw and hopefully find someone with a nice looking tank and pick there brains. :fish2:

This is my 55 notice I have only 4 fish in it. The flasher died it had steadily gone down hill probably from the way it was caught in the wild. This tank will be a year old next month. It has really filled out since this. I replaced the flasher with a yellow coris.

If you want only one fish either a goby or fire fish then a 10 gallon would be fine. I have had success with everything from a 7 gallon up to a 55 gallon the real key is to make sure what you stock your tank with will actually thrive in your tank. Case in point I tried to put one more fish in my 55 a lemon peel I knew it has the possibility of not ending well with in one week it was in a corner 45 that I had setting fully cycled for over 6 months because I coudln't decided what fish to put in it.

I like to have my tanks thrive and not just exist.
111511072446.mp4 video by joycould - Photobucket
This is what I lovingly call my junk tank anything and everthing I don't really know what to do with goes in the junk tank except for my coral banded shrimp that seems to elude capture from my 28. Notice only 2 fish in this tank both are considered semi aggressive however the angel right not is more aggressive. The blue devil hold his own but the minute that stops happening I will play musical tanks with the fish again.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa95/joycould/?action=view&current=111511072446.mp4

joy13 said:
This is my 55 notice I have only 4 fish in it. The flasher died it had steadily gone down hill probably from the way it was caught in the wild. This tank will be a year old next month. It has really filled out since this. I replaced the flasher with a yellow coris.

If you want only one fish either a goby or fire fish then a 10 gallon would be fine. I have had success with everything from a 7 gallon up to a 55 gallon the real key is to make sure what you stock your tank with will actually thrive in your tank. Case in point I tried to put one more fish in my 55 a lemon peel I knew it has the possibility of not ending well with in one week it was in a corner 45 that I had setting fully cycled for over 6 months because I coudln't decided what fish to put in it.

I like to have my tanks thrive and not just exist.
111511072446.mp4 video by joycould - Photobucket
This is what I lovingly call my junk tank anything and everthing I don't really know what to do with goes in the junk tank except for my coral banded shrimp that seems to elude capture from my 28. Notice only 2 fish in this tank both are considered semi aggressive however the angel right not is more aggressive. The blue devil hold his own but the minute that stops happening I will play musical tanks with the fish again.

Photo Storage

Liked the video!!!

The top one is one my friend took his camera skills are good the other one I took and I really lack in camera skills lol. That is why I don't take pictures and show them.

This is the list of equipment I would use for a softy tank. This is all from my 911 stash.
Tank any 10 gallon that never had copper or meds in it
I have a compact florescent 96watt but would upgrade to 2F/2Bulbs fixtures I would use the bulbs for a bout 6 months and then up grade them
Aqua clear 70 filter modded to a fuge
Heater
Sand
Rock
2 koralia power heads the smallest ones
ATO because to have a healthy tank of any size the sg needs to stay constant especially with a small tank it can vary wildly during top offs.
Power strip Mr DJ PSC-200 8 Channel 15 Amp Power Panel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles
A cheap timer for the light

Two things I wouldn't do without is a refractometer and a liquid test kit,

Stocking I love my goby shrimp combo so I would get that and a couple of snails.

For corals I would go with some mushrooms out of my 55 don't know what they are called. A piece of cabbage leather from my 45 and probably some frogspawn, candycane and acan from my 28, Nothing from my 24 since it is a sps tank. Maybe some waving hand. blue cloves, xenia or green star polyps but those can take over a tank it seems like overnight.

Remember go slow and research every step including the cycling part and don't over stock.

My planned maintenance would be check ato, temperature, feed and clean the glass with mag float everyday. Twice a week check sg and change out 1 gallon of water. Once a week remove any pest algae and blow the rocks with a turkey baster. Every two weeks change the filter floss in the modded fuge. Once a month brush off the power heads.

On smaller than my 45 smaller water changes seem to work better to keep the tank stable. As you can see it can be done but it is a lot of work.

This is what I would do it isn't the only way but for me it is the way it works best for me.

I could start another tank all I would need is sand and a goby shrimp combination. :ROFLMAO: Omg I even have a stand I could use.

Back
Top Bottom